OGDEN — Former Utah Governor, U.S. ambassador to China and U.S. presidential candidate Jon Huntsman Jr. will address graduates of Weber State University Friday during the school's commencement ceremonies, school officials announced last week.
The WSU class of 2013 is expected to total more than 4,327 graduates.
"The world is full of opportunities for our graduates,” Beverly Rudd, WSU’s director of special events, said in a prepared statement. “Commencement is our opportunity to celebrate their accomplishments and pay tribute to their success.”
In addition to his remarks, Huntsman will be awarded an honorary Weber State University degree.
Huntsman began his career as a White House staff assistant for President Ronald Reagan and was later appointed to ambassadorships by Presidents George H.W. Bush and Barack Obama. He served as a deputy United States trade representative for the George W. Bush administration.
Huntsman served as Utah governor from 2005 until his resignation in 2009 to serve as U.S. ambassador to China.
Honorary degrees will also be awarded to Sid Foulger, chairman of the board of Foulger-Pratt; Karen Lofgreen, a WSU emerita professor of teacher education; and Beverly Taylor Sorenson, founder of Art Works for Kids.
WSU's commence ceremonies will begin at 8 a.m. Friday with an academic processional, followed by a formal program and addresses at the Dee Events Center. Parking on campus will be free throughout the day and shuttle buses will run between the Dee Events Center and the main campus from 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- About Utah: Selling bikes the new-fashioned way
- 2016 Sterling Scholar candidates
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences' for teen...
- Police ID man who barricaded himself in motor...
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile offenders...
- Long-awaited Jeremy Johnson fraud trial kicks...
- Ex-social worker to plead guilty to sex with...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 55
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 36
- Feds say Orem man duped hundreds of... 28
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 25
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 12