OGDEN — Former Utah Governor, U.S. ambassador to China and U.S. presidential candidate Jon Huntsman Jr. will address graduates of Weber State University Friday during the school's commencement ceremonies, school officials announced last week.
The WSU class of 2013 is expected to total more than 4,327 graduates.
"The world is full of opportunities for our graduates,” Beverly Rudd, WSU’s director of special events, said in a prepared statement. “Commencement is our opportunity to celebrate their accomplishments and pay tribute to their success.”
In addition to his remarks, Huntsman will be awarded an honorary Weber State University degree.
Huntsman began his career as a White House staff assistant for President Ronald Reagan and was later appointed to ambassadorships by Presidents George H.W. Bush and Barack Obama. He served as a deputy United States trade representative for the George W. Bush administration.
Huntsman served as Utah governor from 2005 until his resignation in 2009 to serve as U.S. ambassador to China.
Honorary degrees will also be awarded to Sid Foulger, chairman of the board of Foulger-Pratt; Karen Lofgreen, a WSU emerita professor of teacher education; and Beverly Taylor Sorenson, founder of Art Works for Kids.
WSU's commence ceremonies will begin at 8 a.m. Friday with an academic processional, followed by a formal program and addresses at the Dee Events Center. Parking on campus will be free throughout the day and shuttle buses will run between the Dee Events Center and the main campus from 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Draper house explodes into flames,...
- Parade spectators celebrate pioneers past and...
- A photographic look back at the Days of '47...
- Deseret News Classic: Marathon, half...
- Habitual offender arrested in alleged...
- Student attitudes changing on healthy school...
- Rare cancer treatment leaves Provo teen hopeful
- Federal land managers criticized over...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 46
- Renewable energy advocates decry... 16
- Union Pacific train makes special... 15
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake... 15
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 14
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at... 13
- 'No trespassing' sign may not stop... 13
- Student attitudes changing on healthy... 13