Popular 'Cinnamon Challenge' on YouTube sends teens to hospitals
Swallowing cinnamon has put the lives of several teens in danger.
The "Cinnamon Challenge," a viral video trend on YouTube, has doctors concerned as the number of hospitalized teens who have participated in the prank has increased. According to the American Association of Poison Control, as many as 30 teens needed medical attention after taking the challenge last year.
The "challenge" requires participants to swallow one tablespoon of cinnamon without drinking any water or spitting the cinnamon out. However, once swallowed the cinnamon immediately dries up the throat, causing choking, trouble breathing and can even lead to collapsed lungs.
The popularity of the dare has grown as teens have filmed and posted to YouTube their own attempts at undertaking the "Cinnamon Challenge." According to a Cinnamon Challenge website, there are more than 40,000 challenge videos on YouTube, and several of these challenge videos have more than 1 million views. the Discovery Channel's "Mythbusters" has even attempted the challenge.
The American Association of Poison Control Centers stated that the number of poison control calls dealing with the prank has more than quadrupled, from 51 in 2011 to 222 last year.
Alvin C. Bronstein, managing and medical director for the Rocky Mountain Poison and Drug Center, issued a warning about the new trend.
“Although cinnamon is a common flavoring, swallowing a spoonful may result in unpleasant effects that can pose a health risk,” Bronstein said. “The concern with the cinnamon challenge is that the cinnamon quickly dries out the mouth, making swallowing difficult."
In a recent paper published by Pediatrics, the challenge is addressed as something parents should be aware of.
"Given the allure of social media, peer pressure and a trendy new fad, pediatricians and parents have a 'challenge' of their own in counseling tweens and teens regarding the sensibilities of the choices they make and the potential health risks of this dare."
Dejah Reed, 16, from Ypsilanti, Mich., can attest to the seriousness of the challenge. In February last year, Reed attempted the cinnamon challenge for her fourth time.
It did not end well.
"The fourth time, I was with a friend," Reed posted to her website, nocinnamonchallenge.com. "She wanted to do the Cinnamon Challenge, but not alone. So, I decided to do it with her. I thought everything would be OK, even If I didn’t like the feeling of it. So, we did it and she ended up spitting it out. I ended up laughing, coughing it out and inhaled it. It went into my right lung and caused it to collapse."
Reed began her own "Just say no" campaign to raise awareness of the dangers of the cinnamon dare.
- The Clean Cut: Dude Perfect takes on 11 world...
- The Clean Cut: 10-year-old girl performs on...
- The best of summer books for the whole family
- Why discussions about sex should begin at...
- Dating is a lot of hard work — it...
- Movie review: 'Alice Through the Looking...
- People.com features 3 Utah sisters battling...
- Hruska's Kolaches: BYU alumni introduce...
- Hruska's Kolaches: BYU alumni introduce... 9
- How lab-grown burgers change the... 9
- It is harmless to let babies cry... 5
- Why discussions about sex should begin... 3
- Flying with your family is becoming... 3
- U. professor competes on 'American... 3
- Safety measures, response teams can't... 3
- Erin Stewart: Breaking the stigma of... 2