Although they won’t be charged for it, paying a credit card payment late on a no late fees card can cost consumers in various other ways, according to Credit.com.
Various cards offer no late fees, whether it is only applicable on the first late payment, or for cards that waive all late fees. These five reasons can help consumers decide whether or not to make payments on time even when it won’t add on fees.
Eventually with fees not being paid off on time, the grace period will be forfeited, and all purchases will create interest costs.
Existing debt interest
Interest is calculated based on an average daily balance. Even if the late fee doesn’t exist, any debts not paid off by the due date start accumulating interest. It is safer to pay off the debt a little early, according to the article.
High penalty interest rates apply on some cards. The Clear Card from American Express had a 27.24 percent penalty rate. Compared to the possible $35 for a late fee, this could be pricier than the latter.
Credit agency reports
Late payments affect credit scores because all late payments are reported to credit agencies. Low scores then increase the insurance rates on credit cards, mortgages and any other loans.
There are no cards where payments can stop being made, even if they have no additional fees. Too much delinquency makes issuers suspend or cancel an account.
- How will students pay for soaring debt? Tax...
- Why the rise of smart machines could...
- 30 best cities for starting a business
- Small companies pound pavement to get big deals
- Borrowers using student loans for cash, not a...
- Beware: Tax season is scam season
- How expensive is your ego?
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't waste your time,...
- How will students pay for soaring debt?... 72
- The disappearing 401(k) and inequality 20
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't waste your... 18
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low 18
- Nickel and dimed: How pennies and... 4
- Randy Shumway: China is a vital... 4
- For women, lower grades might mean more... 2
- Borrowers using student loans for cash,... 2