OREM, Utah - The Utah Valley University women's golf team will tee it up for the last time as members of the Great West Conference at the league championships Wednesday-Friday at The Dominion Country Club in San Antonio.
"We are excited for the opportunity to compete," UVU women's golf coach Sue Nyhus said. "We hope to play well."
Last year, UVU's Lynn-Marie Nagel birdied two of the last three holes to hold off Houston Baptist's Kelsey Lou-Hing to win top medalist honors at the tournament play at the Alpine Country Club in Highland, Utah.
Nagel opened the tournament last year with a tournament and school-record 69 before shooting rounds of 77 and 76 to end the tournament at 6-over par 222.
Nyhus is hoping for a similar outcome this year.
We have several who could make a run - Jordyn (Dougal), Lynn and Brooke (Bliss)," Nyhus said.
As a team, the Wolverines (925) finished second to Houston Baptist (904), while Chicago State (932) was third, followed by Texas-Pan American (964) and North Dakota (983).
Dougal, the reigning Great West Conference Golfer of the Week, leads the team in scoring average at 77.29. She recorded her third top 10 finish of the season after shooting a final-round 73 earlier in the month at the Wyoming Cowgirl Classic in the Wolverines' final regular-season tournament of the season. The team finished 11th.
Dougal is followed in scoring average by Nagel (78.50), Bliss (80.79), Morgan Workman (81.43), Hannah Herman (82.44), Cassandra Lesa 83.06); Heather Mathison (83.39) and Kalea Heu (83.39).
The Wolverines will begin competition in the Western Athletic Conference next season.
Jay Hinton is a sports information assistant at Utah Valley University.
- Former Cardinals exec sentenced to 4 years in...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big 12...
- Poll: Many Brazilians think Olympic Games...
- AP source: ACC, ESPN to launch ACC Network in...
- BYU and the Big 12: A timeline of events
- NCAA: No. 1 overall seed to choose tourney...
- IOC explores legal options on banning all...
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 122
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 67
- Morning links: National college... 67
- Report: Houston AD meets with Pac-12... 60
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup:... 49
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 49
- Annual instate college basketball... 37