Suspected pipe bomb forces evacuation of Layton elementary school
Ravell Call, Deseret News
LAYTON — A bomb scare at Mountain View Elementary School on Monday resulted in the evacuation of students and cancellation of classes.
Monday morning, a maintenance worker was on the roof of the school, 2025 E. 3100 North, when he found what appeared to be a pipe bomb, said Davis School District spokesman Chris Williams. Authorities were notified, but not until the man had already carried the device off the roof.
Students were evacuated from the school about noon and taken to a church east of the school on 2400 East. Classes were canceled for the rest of the day after the Davis County Sheriff's Office, Layton police and Layton firefighters were called.
"It was, like, crazy because of all the fire trucks coming in and the police, and there were sirens and stuff," said 10-year-old Macie Rose. "You could hear all the wheels stop, and everyone screaming and stuff, but it was crazy loud."
Williams said parents were notified by email and phone messages that automatically went out.
Macie's mother, Stacie Colby, said she received a voice mail from the district and went to pick up her daughter at the designated location.
"We've had preparation drills, disaster drills, where we came and got our kids before, so I knew exactly what to do," Colby said. "Not until I got over here and saw everything did I panic."
The device was rendered safe in the parking lot.
Colby said she was impressed with the way the school handled the situation.
"It was smooth," she said. "It was exactly how they prepared us before."
Bomb-sniffing dogs from Hill Air Force Base were also sent to the school to conduct a search for any other devices.
Contributing: Peter Samore
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence of...
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close South...
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre urges...
- Driver in DUI crash that maimed 11-year-old...
- Got an emergency? You can now text 911 in 3...
- Deer attacks man in Draper backyard, police say
- Many questions remain in shooting death of...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 56
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 39
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 29
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 12
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close... 9