SALT LAKE CITY — The fiancee of a 19-year-old man shot and killed outside a Salt Lake convenience store has been arrested for investigation of obstruction of justice.
Sione Fakatoufifita, 19, of West Valley City, was shot and killed outside a Maverik convenience store, 1680 S. Redwood Road, on April 13. He had just called his parents to ask for a ride home when he was shot. It was still unclear Monday why Fakatoufifita, who lives in West Valley City, was in Salt Lake City at 1 a.m.
Witnesses told police that they saw a man running across the parking lot after the shooting and nearly get hit by a car as he tried to get across Redwood Road.
Fakatoufifita's fiancee was arrested April 16 for investigation of obstruction of justice. Morgan Maree Janet Holst, 18, remained in jail Monday on $250,000 bail.
Holst, the last person to see Fakatoufifita alive, was interviewed several times by police following his death. During those interviews she "lied several times to detectives about the details of her involvement" with Fakatoufifita, according to a Salt Lake County Jail report.
During her last interview with police, officers read her Miranda rights, which she waived, and then "continued to lie" to investigators during the interview, the report states, "and admitted she had lied several times in previous interviews."
A possible motive for the shooting was not known Saturday. Anyone with information can call police at 801-799-3000.
— Pat Reavy
- Draper house explodes into flames,...
- Parade spectators celebrate pioneers past and...
- A photographic look back at the Days of '47...
- Deseret News Classic: Marathon, half...
- Student attitudes changing on healthy school...
- Rare cancer treatment leaves Provo teen hopeful
- Head-on collision kills 2, injures 3 in Eagle...
- Habitual offender arrested in alleged...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 46
- Renewable energy advocates decry... 16
- Union Pacific train makes special... 15
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake... 15
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 14
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at... 13
- 'No trespassing' sign may not stop... 13
- Student attitudes changing on healthy... 13