SALT LAKE CITY — The fiancee of a 19-year-old man shot and killed outside a Salt Lake convenience store has been arrested for investigation of obstruction of justice.
Sione Fakatoufifita, 19, of West Valley City, was shot and killed outside a Maverik convenience store, 1680 S. Redwood Road, on April 13. He had just called his parents to ask for a ride home when he was shot. It was still unclear Monday why Fakatoufifita, who lives in West Valley City, was in Salt Lake City at 1 a.m.
Witnesses told police that they saw a man running across the parking lot after the shooting and nearly get hit by a car as he tried to get across Redwood Road.
Fakatoufifita's fiancee was arrested April 16 for investigation of obstruction of justice. Morgan Maree Janet Holst, 18, remained in jail Monday on $250,000 bail.
Holst, the last person to see Fakatoufifita alive, was interviewed several times by police following his death. During those interviews she "lied several times to detectives about the details of her involvement" with Fakatoufifita, according to a Salt Lake County Jail report.
During her last interview with police, officers read her Miranda rights, which she waived, and then "continued to lie" to investigators during the interview, the report states, "and admitted she had lied several times in previous interviews."
A possible motive for the shooting was not known Saturday. Anyone with information can call police at 801-799-3000.
— Pat Reavy
- Man killed in avalanche had a passion for...
- Local religious leaders urge support for...
- Cities, state battle panhandling through the...
- About Utah: All the mac and cheese they can eat
- Dog lovers walk to support anti-bias measure
- The story of a fish, a river and what's ahead...
- Body of man, 51, discovered outside Cedar City
- Family of BYU student hit by car say they are...
- Advocates rally and 'roar' for... 56
- Utah Democrats offer full Medicaid... 32
- Gov. Herbert threatens veto of House... 31
- Judge: Biological father will share... 28
- The story of a fish, a river and what's... 24
- Cities, state battle panhandling... 21
- Local religious leaders urge support... 20
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low 11