SALT LAKE CITY — The fiancee of a 19-year-old man shot and killed outside a Salt Lake convenience store has been arrested for investigation of obstruction of justice.
Sione Fakatoufifita, 19, of West Valley City, was shot and killed outside a Maverik convenience store, 1680 S. Redwood Road, on April 13. He had just called his parents to ask for a ride home when he was shot. It was still unclear Monday why Fakatoufifita, who lives in West Valley City, was in Salt Lake City at 1 a.m.
Witnesses told police that they saw a man running across the parking lot after the shooting and nearly get hit by a car as he tried to get across Redwood Road.
Fakatoufifita's fiancee was arrested April 16 for investigation of obstruction of justice. Morgan Maree Janet Holst, 18, remained in jail Monday on $250,000 bail.
Holst, the last person to see Fakatoufifita alive, was interviewed several times by police following his death. During those interviews she "lied several times to detectives about the details of her involvement" with Fakatoufifita, according to a Salt Lake County Jail report.
During her last interview with police, officers read her Miranda rights, which she waived, and then "continued to lie" to investigators during the interview, the report states, "and admitted she had lied several times in previous interviews."
A possible motive for the shooting was not known Saturday. Anyone with information can call police at 801-799-3000.
— Pat Reavy
- UDOT announces road project schedule for 2015
- Prison Relocation Commission ready to dial...
- Can you name your U.S. Representative? See...
- Eagle Mountain man killed in alleged domestic...
- Hope in a crisis: School, community leaders...
- Want to land your dream job? 4 must-do things
- Educators call for funding, legislation to...
- Washington Terrace woman found dead, 2 in...
- Officer in parade controversy speaks... 266
- Gov. Herbert increases pressure on... 52
- Illinois professor could help Utah... 43
- House Speaker Greg Hughes kills hopes... 34
- Utah Senate rejects delay to Count My... 19
- Lawmakers consider academic turnaround... 17
- Some GOP House members disagree with... 16
- Hope in a crisis: School, community... 16