Utah gymnasts compete as individuals at NCAAs
Dabritz finishes in tie for second on uneven bars
LOS ANGELES — Georgia Dabritz had the unenviable position of being the first competitor in Sunday's competition for individual gymnastics titles.
She did not win the national bars championship, but she came about as close as one can, finishing in a tie for second with former Olympic hopeful Bridget Sloan, who competes for Florida. Both Sloan and Dabritz earned 9.90 for their bar routines, while Florida's Alaina Johnson won the national title with a score of 9.9125.
“It’s pretty amazing that score held up,” said Dabritz, who was thrilled with silver. “Second place is great. I’m more than happy. Tying an Olympian (Florida’s Bridget Sloan) isn’t bad either."
Her second-place finish was the best for a Utah gymnast since 2008 when Ashley Postell placed second on beam and Kristinia Baskett placed second on vault.
Utah co-head coach Greg Marsden was pleased with how the gymnasts performed Sunday, especially Dabritz.
“I thought Georgia’s score might hold up since it was a very good routine,” Marsden said. “This was a big step forward for Georgia. I was really impressed with how well she handled (event finals) this year compared to a year ago. She has matured a lot.”
Alabama's Diandra Milliner won the vault title with a score of 9.9250, while Utah sophomore Tory Wilson finished in a tie for eighth in her first individual national competition. She scored a 9.8917.
“I liked competing today a lot,” said Wilson. “It was fun.”
Junior Nansy Damianova competed on both bars and floor. She finished in eighth place on bars with a 9.8125, and she finished eighth on floor with a score of 9.8750.
Dabritz was the only Ute to have experience in event finals as she competed in vault last year. She said this year she relaxed and enjoyed the competition.
- Morning links: Bronson Kaufusi could be on...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- Utah State football: Offensive lineman Tyshon...
- 41-year-old mom looking to join U.S. team,...
- Local flavor in the NBA (and beyond): Lillard...
- Detroit Lions pick up fifth-year option on...
- Mike Sorensen: These awful NBA free-throw...
- Kim Cowart: My mom makes me a better runner
- Big 12 would be better off expanding,... 95
- Going the distance: BYU, Big 12 aren't... 78
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion probable... 65
- Former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps signs... 36
- Utah baseball team surprisingly leads... 31
- Report: Utah's Poeltl, Weber State's... 29
- Dick Harmon: SUU, Kaufusi big winners... 29
- Morning links: Taysom Hill a Top 25... 22