Real Salt Lake defender Chris Schuler suffered fractured hand in win over Chivas
SANDY — Chris Schuler is the latest player to join Real Salt Lake’s list of walking wounded this season.
The RSL center back fractured the fourth metacarpal in his left hand Saturday night on an awkward sliding challenge late in the first half against Chivas USA. He still played the rest of the game with the injury.
The hand wasn’t stepped on, but rather got awkwardly stuck under his body during the sliding challenge.
Schuler underwent successful surgery at Salt Lake Regional Hospital on Sunday, with Dr. Andrew Cooper placing a pin in the fracture to expedite the recovery — a similar procedure to what Sebastian Velasquez had last week.
With the protection of a cast he might still be available for this weekend’s visit from the L.A. Galaxy.
Schuler and Luis Gil are the only two players who’ve started every match for RSL this season, but the status of each is in question this week. Gil twisted an already-injured ankle in the 10th minute against Chivas, but still managed to play 65 more minutes before being subbed off.
Kyle Beckerman’s status is also in question for the Galaxy match. He missed Saturday’s match with a dislocated rib, an injury that kept Ned Grabavoy out for three weeks early last season.
Follow Deseret News Real Salt Lake beat writer James Edward on Twitter @DesNewsReal
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 104
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 45
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 30
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 21
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 15
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 8
- Former BYU guard Cory Calvert to... 7