Real Salt Lake defender Chris Schuler suffered fractured hand in win over Chivas
SANDY — Chris Schuler is the latest player to join Real Salt Lake’s list of walking wounded this season.
The RSL center back fractured the fourth metacarpal in his left hand Saturday night on an awkward sliding challenge late in the first half against Chivas USA. He still played the rest of the game with the injury.
The hand wasn’t stepped on, but rather got awkwardly stuck under his body during the sliding challenge.
Schuler underwent successful surgery at Salt Lake Regional Hospital on Sunday, with Dr. Andrew Cooper placing a pin in the fracture to expedite the recovery — a similar procedure to what Sebastian Velasquez had last week.
With the protection of a cast he might still be available for this weekend’s visit from the L.A. Galaxy.
Schuler and Luis Gil are the only two players who’ve started every match for RSL this season, but the status of each is in question this week. Gil twisted an already-injured ankle in the 10th minute against Chivas, but still managed to play 65 more minutes before being subbed off.
Kyle Beckerman’s status is also in question for the Galaxy match. He missed Saturday’s match with a dislocated rib, an injury that kept Ned Grabavoy out for three weeks early last season.
Follow Deseret News Real Salt Lake beat writer James Edward on Twitter @DesNewsReal
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- BYU's Arellano makes big impact in win over...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 82
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart... 32