GUNNISON — An inmate at the Central Utah Correctional Facility was discovered dead in his cell Saturday morning.
Investigators are treating the death as suspicious due to the nature of injuries on the body and other evidence at the scene, said Utah Department of Corrections spokesman Steve Gehrke.
The inmate's name has not yet been released, but Gehrke said the inmate was a 62-year-old man convicted on drug distribution and theft charges. The man entered the prison in January of 2011.
The body is currently in the custody of a medical examiner, who will perform an autopsy within the next few days.
The Utah Department of Corrections is assisting the Sanpete County Sheriff's Office in the investigation of the death.
— Benjamin Woodbw
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while lunging...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving door...
- Deputies fish out 4 cars from Pineview Reservoir
- Chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia sufferers...
- 'They killed my son because he's black,'...
- 2 girls abducted in Bountiful escape in...
- Utah State Prison inmate dies following fight
- Friends, family, strangers gather at vigil...
- 'They killed my son because he's... 76
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 57
- Utah makes final plea for Supreme Court... 53
- Taylorsville teacher injured after her... 47
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while... 42
- Do guns belong in the hands of... 39
- Grand America to pay $2M fine for... 24
- Vail Resorts buys Park City Mountain... 16