Utah Jazz have signed up for Orlando Pro Summer League again, will face Lakers in 2013-14 preseason
SALT LAKE CITY — The 2012-13 season just ended for the Utah Jazz, but part of their offseason and preseason plans are already coming into focus.
Sorry, Rocky Mountain Revue fans, but the Jazz will again spend some of their non-vacationing summer in Florida instead of at the Salt Lake Community College.
For the fifth-straight year, the Jazz organization will send a squad of youngsters and NBA hopefuls to the Orlando Pro Summer League, General Manager Dennis Lindsey confirmed.
Dates haven't been announced, but that summer event will take place in early July at the Amway Center's practice court.
Jazz rookie Kevin Murphy and late-season pickup Jerel McNeal are among the likely invitees, and it wouldn't be surprising if Enes Kanter made an appearance while rehabbing from his left shoulder injury.
Last summer, DeMarre Carroll, Alec Burks, Jeremy Evans, Kanter, Blake Ahearn, John Millsap and Michael Stockton were on Utah's roster.
Burks was named to the All-Summer League team, thanks to an average of 17.2 points. Kanter averaged 8.8 rebounds for the 3-2 Jazz squad.
If the Jazz keep their three draft picks (14th, 21st and 46th), those players would also likely participate.
The NBA puts on a summer league in Las Vegas, which ultimately led to the Rocky Mountain Revue's demise after its run from 1984-2008. Since 2009, the Jazz have preferred to attend the more intimate Orlando event, which isn't open to the public but televises all of the games.
Along with the Jazz, the Heat, Rockets, Nets, Celtics, Pistons, Pacers, Thunder, 76ers and Magic are expected to participate in Orlando's 2013 summer league, according to the Orlando Sentinel.
The Orlando Pro Summer League is also reportedly considering a tournament structure with pool play and a championship game instead of just having teams play five times in consecutive days.
2013-14 PRESEASON: The Jazz previously announced that they'll play Portland in Boise on Oct. 11 in an exhibition game. Turns out, Utah will also face the Lakers twice in the exhibition season — on Oct. 22 at Staples Center and on Oct. 25 in Anaheim, Calif. The full preseason schedule will be released this summer.
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 104
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 45
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 30
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 21
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 10
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 8
- Former BYU guard Cory Calvert to... 7