USU tennis: Aggie fall to Idaho, 5-2, in final match of season
Utah State women's tennis fell to Western Athletic Conference foe Idaho, 5-2, in its final match of the season to finish the year with a 5-13 overall record, including a 1-7 mark in league action, as USU did not qualify for the upcoming WAC Tournament hosted by Denver.
In singles play, sophomore McKenzie Davis defeated Victoria Lozano in straight sets at the No. 1 spot (7-5, 7-6), and at the No. 3 spot, senior Kristina Voytsekhovich took down Constance Alexander in the third set (5-7, 7-6, 6-4) securing the only two points of the day for the Aggies. At the No. 2 spot, senior Jaci West fell to Almudena Sanz in three sets (2-6, 6-3, 6-3), and at the No. 4 spot, senior Julie Tukuafu was taken down by Belen Barcenilla in straight sets (6-3, 6-3). At the No. 5 spot, freshman Kallie Sperry was defeated by Beatriz Flores in straight sets (6-2, 6-4). And at the No. 6 spot, freshman Ashley Stuhlmann fell to Sophie Vickers in straight sets (6-3, 6-0).
At the first doubles position, Davis and West fell to V. Lozano and Sanz, 8-6. At the second doubles position, Sperry and Voytsekhovich were taken down by A. Lozano and Vickers, 8-6. And at the third doubles position, Tukuafu and Stuhlmann were defeated by Flores and Bermudez.
1. McKenzie Davis (USU) def. Victoria Lozano (UI) 7-5, 7-6
2. Almudena Sanz (UI) def. Jaci West (USU) 2-6, 6-3, 6-3
3. Kristina Voytsekhovich (USU) def. Constance Alexander (UI) 5-7, 7-6, 6-4
4. Belen Barcenilla (UI) def. Julie Tukuafu (USU) 6-2, 6-3
5. Beatriz Flores (UI) def. Kallie Sperry (USU) 6-2, 6-4
6. Sophie Vickers (UI) def. Ashley Stuhlmann (USU) 6-3, 6-0
1. V. Lozano/Sanz (UI) def. West/Davis (USU) 8-6
2. A. Lozano/Vickers (UI) def. Sperry/Voytsekhovich (USU) 8-6
3. Flores/Bermudez (UI) def. Tukuafu/Stuhlmann (USU) 8-3
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Utah Jazz: A look at each player's contract...
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- Salt Lake marathon is first win for Lehi...
- Utah's second spring scrimmage is 'a dead heat'
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- Utah gymnastics: Red Rocks finish second to...
- Optimism abounds for the Utah Jazz's future
- BYU rugby cruises past Central Washington,...
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Utah football: Dres Anderson shines in... 58
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 32
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 25
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- Video: Utah football coaches revved up... 16