BYU tennis: women's team is victorious in last regular season match
PROVO, Utah – In its final match of the regular season, the BYU women’s tennis team swept conference opponent Loyola Maryount 4-0 at the BYU indoor tennis courts Saturday.
“This was probably one of the best matches we’ve played all year,” BYU coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said. “We looked really confident and sharp. Hopefully we can take that confidence into the tournament next week.”
Seniors Aubrey Paul and Andie Young were recognized at the beginning of the match in their final home match of their career. The duo then played at the No. 3 doubles position and clinched the point for BYU with a tightly contested 9-8 victory.
The momentum carried into singles play as Nicolette Tran dominated Claudia Razzeto 6-1, 6-2 at the No. 3 singles position, her fourth consecutive win and first at the No. 3 spot.
“Nicolette is a fast player and she played awesome again today,” Jones-Spencer said. “She went out there really focused and took it to her opponent.
Sophomore Morgan Anderson was the next to finish, giving BYU its third point with a 7-6, 6-1 victory over Kristine Kouyoumjian.
Sheehan-Dizon’s win on court 1 secured the victory for BYU. The sophomore from California claimed the first set before losing the second. In her third set, she blew past April Bisharat in seven games to put an end to the match.
The Cougars next travel to San Diego to compete in the WCC Tournament next week.
1. Sheehan-Dizon/N. Tran (BYU) def. Bisharat/Razzeto (LMU) 8-6
2. Anderson/Maddox (BYU) vs. Jin/Rohonyi (LMU) 8-7 DNF
3. Paul/Young (BYU) def. Parravi/Kouyoumjian (LMU) 9-8(4)
Order of finish: 1, 3
1. Meghan Sheehan-Dizon (BYU) def. April Bisharat (LMU) 6-4, 4-6, 6-1
2. Desiree Tran (BYU) vs. Tory Parravi (LMU) 4-6, 7-6 DNF
3. Nicolette Tran (BYU) def. Claudia Razzeto (LMU) 6-1, 6-2
4. Morgan Anderson (BYU) def. Kristine Kouyoumjian (LMU) 7-6, 6-1
5. Mackenna Maddox (BYU) vs. Miya Jin (LMU) 6-1, 3-2 DNF
6. Aubrey Paul (BYU) vs. Reka Rohonyi (LMU) 5-2 DNF
Order of finish: 3, 4, 1
Aaron Sorenson is the tennis sports information director at BYU.
- U. student government passes resolution to...
- Doug Robinson: Utah Jazz have come full...
- No timeline set to find Utah Jazz's new head...
- Utah Sports Ruckus: Grading the Jazz's...
- To serve or not to serve: BYU star athletes...
- Deseret News 2014 NFL Mock Draft: Where are...
- Rock On: Lighten up, Gordon Hayward
- High school sports: Tuesday's roundup
- U. student government passes resolution... 105
- Utah Jazz: Tyrone Corbin's contract... 56
- To serve or not to serve: BYU star... 41
- Doug Robinson: Utah Jazz have come full... 29
- Dick Harmon: BYU's loading up with... 26
- Mike Sorensen: To keep or not to keep... 24
- Speculation begins about who the next... 24
- Utah Jazz: Plan's playing out, but... 19