West Wendover Police Department
WEST WENDOVER — The West Wendover Police Department is asking for the public's help in locating a missing 17-year-old girl who was last seen Friday afternoon.
Sgt. David Wiskerchen said the girl, identified as Laura Ortiz, was reported missing on Friday shortly after 2 p.m. At the time she was wearing a white and black striped long-sleeve shirt, black pants and white shoes.
Wiskerchen said Ortiz' mother contacted police on Saturday around 2:30 p.m. and said she had received a call from her daughter who was in in Reno, Nev. and in good condition. Wiskerchen said police officers have not yet confirmed the veracity of those statements and are continuing to treat the incident as a missing persons case.
Ortiz is described as 5-foot-5-inches tall, weighing 150 pounds, with brown eyes and brown hair with red highlights. She has several tatoos, including the word "Brenda" on her left leg, the word "Juan" on her right leg, the shape of a star and the letters "MP" on her right thumb and the phrase "Don't cry over a guy" on her right arm.
Ortiz is also believed to be traveling with a male individual, Wiskerchen said. At this time no known vehicle information is available.
"She's made statements in the last little while that she was going to meet up with a male individual that she met online," Wiskerchen said.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the West Wendover Police Department.
- Pleasant Grove pizza manager arrested for...
- Candlelight vigil held for critically injured...
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- About Utah: They're best in the world
- What does a letter grade mean for my child's...
- Former top deputy in Utah attorney general...
- Driver allegedly causes accident on I-15,...
- Christmas I Remember Best: 'All this, and...
- A year later, a look at the Utah... 91
- Majority of Utahns oppose moving state... 54
- Sugar House man intends to sue police,... 36
- Anti-police protests tie up traffic on... 33
- What does a letter grade mean for my... 18
- Couples celebrate one-year anniversary... 17
- Audit: Utah still relies heavily on... 16
- Utah lawmakers recommend lowest-cost... 16