West Wendover Police Department
WEST WENDOVER — The West Wendover Police Department is asking for the public's help in locating a missing 17-year-old girl who was last seen Friday afternoon.
Sgt. David Wiskerchen said the girl, identified as Laura Ortiz, was reported missing on Friday shortly after 2 p.m. At the time she was wearing a white and black striped long-sleeve shirt, black pants and white shoes.
Wiskerchen said Ortiz' mother contacted police on Saturday around 2:30 p.m. and said she had received a call from her daughter who was in in Reno, Nev. and in good condition. Wiskerchen said police officers have not yet confirmed the veracity of those statements and are continuing to treat the incident as a missing persons case.
Ortiz is described as 5-foot-5-inches tall, weighing 150 pounds, with brown eyes and brown hair with red highlights. She has several tatoos, including the word "Brenda" on her left leg, the word "Juan" on her right leg, the shape of a star and the letters "MP" on her right thumb and the phrase "Don't cry over a guy" on her right arm.
Ortiz is also believed to be traveling with a male individual, Wiskerchen said. At this time no known vehicle information is available.
"She's made statements in the last little while that she was going to meet up with a male individual that she met online," Wiskerchen said.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the West Wendover Police Department.
- Living on the edge: North Salt Lake residents...
- One man dead after attempted carjacking in Orem
- LDS artist J. Kirk Richards says leaps of...
- Who should pay? City, developer, residents at...
- Pleasant Grove homeowner shoot, kills man in...
- Report highlights earth-shattering increases...
- Lutheran, LDS leaders forge common ground...
- 11 signs you're a Jeep driver
- Outcome of same-sex marriage case hard... 54
- One man dead after attempted carjacking... 32
- Herbert, legislative leaders starting... 29
- Mitt Romney tells UVU grads to 'live a... 22
- Poll: Majority of Salt Lake City... 14
- Governor, legislators leave 'baggage'... 12
- Attorney: Woman on trial in deputy's... 10
- Jury convicts San Juan County... 10