West Wendover Police Department
WEST WENDOVER — The West Wendover Police Department is asking for the public's help in locating a missing 17-year-old girl who was last seen Friday afternoon.
Sgt. David Wiskerchen said the girl, identified as Laura Ortiz, was reported missing on Friday shortly after 2 p.m. At the time she was wearing a white and black striped long-sleeve shirt, black pants and white shoes.
Wiskerchen said Ortiz' mother contacted police on Saturday around 2:30 p.m. and said she had received a call from her daughter who was in in Reno, Nev. and in good condition. Wiskerchen said police officers have not yet confirmed the veracity of those statements and are continuing to treat the incident as a missing persons case.
Ortiz is described as 5-foot-5-inches tall, weighing 150 pounds, with brown eyes and brown hair with red highlights. She has several tatoos, including the word "Brenda" on her left leg, the word "Juan" on her right leg, the shape of a star and the letters "MP" on her right thumb and the phrase "Don't cry over a guy" on her right arm.
Ortiz is also believed to be traveling with a male individual, Wiskerchen said. At this time no known vehicle information is available.
"She's made statements in the last little while that she was going to meet up with a male individual that she met online," Wiskerchen said.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the West Wendover Police Department.
- Should Meagan Grunwald get life without parole?
- Photo gallery: Journey headlines 35th Stadium...
- Funeral services for President Boyd K. Packer...
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of...
- Photos: A photographic look at President Boyd...
- Doug Robinson: Utah's Glen Hanson has had an...
- 25 of the craziest — and cutest —...
- President Packer's enduring legacy includes...
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride... 67
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 42
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of... 40
- Should Meagan Grunwald get life without... 39
- Idaho's gay marriage ban remains in... 30
- Former Provo High teacher pleads guilty... 25
- Utah senators seeking support for... 16
- My view: Utah lawmakers can protect... 13