WOODS CROSS — Three of the five fastest boys 100-meter times in Utah this season belong to Woods Cross runners, and on Friday the trio combined with a fourth teammate to set a new 4A relay record.
At the Wildcat Invitational at Woods Cross, Chandler Judd, Sean Barton, Jacapo Spano and Derek Lord teamed up to run the 4x100 relay in a time of 42.40 despite chilly, breezy conditions. Lord ran the anchor of the fastest time in Utah this season, and the best 4A time in state history.
The state record is 41.64 set by 5A’s Orem back in 1997. Nine other 5A schools have run faster than Woods Cross’ 42.20 over the past decade, but the Wildcat quartet is inching farther up the list, and an overall state record is within reach over the next month.
Woods Cross’ dominance in the sprints led to a boys team title at the Wildcat Invite as it finished with 151 points, well ahead of second-place Herriman’s 121 points.
On the girls side, Herriman ran away with the team title ahead of second-place Woods Cross.
For complete results, check out the Wildcat Invitational at RunnerCard.com.
Woods Cross’ boys won the 4x100, 4x400 and 4x800 relays en route to the team title, while Barton won the 100 meters, Spano won the 200 meters and Xequille Harry won the 400 meters.
Athletes for three other schools turned in top 10 performances: Davis’ Alex Hedquist in the 3,200, Bountiful’s Connor Jensen in the 110 hurdles and Roy’s Anthony Gregory in the high jump. Gregory clear 6’05 in the high jump, tied for the third-best mark in Utah this year.
Herriman’s girls finished with four individual winners and won three of four relays to claim the team title. The Mustangs’ sprint relay time of 4:15.82 is the second-best mark in Utah this year, and its 4x100 time is the third best.
The girls 800-meter race was one of the best at the meet as Viewmont’s Shelby Justice, Woods Cross’ Makenzie Clark and Davis’ Kami Dixon all ran top 10 times, with Justice winning in 2:19.67 — the fourth-best time in Utah.
Bountiful’s Elise Maddox also turned in a top-10 performance in the 300 hurdles with a time of 46.63.
Boys team scores
1. Woods Cross, 151; 2. Herriman, 121; 3. Syracuse, 98; 4. Bountiful, 84; 5. Bonneville, 59; 6. Viewmont, 44; 7. Northridge, 38; 8. Roy, 26.
Individual boys winners were as follows:
100 meters — Sean Barton, Woods Cross, 11.11
200 meters — Jacopo Spano, Woods Cross, 22.69
400 meters — Xequille Harry, Woods Cross, 50.17
800 meters — Connor Jones, Herriman, 1:59.98
1,600 meters — Rory Linkletter, Herriman, 4:24.15
3,200 meters — Alex Hedquist, Davis, 9:31.02
110 hurdles — Connor Jensen, Bountiful, 15.11
300 hurdles — Jaxon Worthen, Syracuse, 39.69
High jump — Anthony Gregory, Roy, 6’05
Long jump — Stetson Sartor, Herriman, 21’02.00
Shot put — Andre James, Herriman, 50’09.50
Discus — Rory Mulitalo, Herriman, 139’08
Javelin — Mason Woodward, Syracuse, 168’08
Pole vault — Korbin Birrell, Davis, 12’00
4x100 relay — Woods Cross, 42.20
4x400 relay — Woods Cross, 3:25.75
4x800 relay — Woods Cross, 9:19.34
Sprint medley relay — Syracuse, 3:39.68
Girls team scores
- High school boys basketball: TJ Haws' career...
- Duke's Jabari Parker faces tough stay-or-go...
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of 3-pointers,...
- High school boys basketball: Bountiful...
- BYU basketball: Cougars leery of facing...
- High school boys basketball: Lone Peak...
- Tournament central: 5A boys championship live...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up short...
- Utah basketball: Utes clip Cal in... 83
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU football: Practice fights elicit... 56
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 49
- BYU baseball: BYU beats Utah, 20-3 47
- Doug Robinson: Time to move on for... 43
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 29
- CougarLinks: BYU picked to win WCC... 28