High school baseball: Lance Moore earns 200th career victory as Bulldogs beat Timpview
PROVO — Provo's baseball team improved to 3-5 in Region 8 by defeating rival Timpview 4-2 Thursday night.
The win gave Bulldog head coach Lance Moore his 200th career victory and helped propel Provo back into the playoff hunt.
Johnson had been missing in action since the preseason with a back injury and worked 6 2/3 strong innings to get the win on the mound.
Meanwhile, Bosco, who injured his foot during the basketball season, played his first game of the baseball season and went 1-for-3 and flagged down a fly ball in the right-field alley that might have sparked a potential Timpview rally.
The big offensive heroes for Provo were Danny Jenkins, who doubled in two runs in the first frame. Then Provo got some insurance runs in the bottom of the sixth when Braden Griffin came off the bench and delivered a two-out, two-strike, pinch-hit single that plated two runs.
In the seventh inning Johnson retired the first two batters, but Tyus Moe doubled. Moore then chose to bring in Daxton Rees to relieve Bosco. Rees gave up a single that scored Moe and then a walk before striking out the next batter to secure the victory.
With the loss, the Thunderbirds dropped to 1-7 in league play.
Brian Preece is a freelance prep sports writer who has been published in a number of publications.
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's season of...
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- BYU football: After initial struggles,...
- Cougars fall short again in 87-85 loss to...
- Records fall as BYU, Chase Fischer shoot past...
- High school basketball: Tuesday's roundup
- NFL playoff picture: Can the Lions, with...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 160
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 94
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 48
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 47
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 40
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 38
- Utes on the verge of a winning Pac-12... 30