WALNUT, Calif. - Five BYU athletes finished with regional qualifying marks in the men’s 5,000-meter run at the Mt. Sac Relays on Friday night, with two Cougars submitting some of the best times in school history.
“We had a very good day from all five guys in the 5,000,” distance coach Ed Eyestone said. “They all had regional qualifying times and they finished under that 14-minute mark, which was a big goal for us. It really shows the nice depth we have, which is one of the reasons we were a strong cross-country team last fall.”
Jared Ward took 13th overall in the Elite division of the men’s 5,000-meter run with a time of 13:37.03. The time was good enough to move Ward into fifth all-time in the BYU record books. Tylor Thatcher also ran in the event, taking 22nd overall with a time of 13:51.11 and moving into eighth on BYU’s all-time lists.
“It’s definitely takes the pressure off to get the regional qualifying times out of the way early in the season,” Ward said. “I’ll be able to treat the upcoming meets a bit like workouts, work on speed and just try to get good races in without peaking as much.”
In the Olympic Development division of the 5,000 meters, Tommy Gruenewald took 10th place with a time of 13:54.26. Steve Flint and Jason Witt took 20th and 21st overall, respectively, with times of 13:57.93 and 13:58.20.
The Cougars also had two athletes compete in field events Friday. Braydon Bringhurst took third place in Group B of the Open division pole vault competition, clearing 16-10.75. Victor Weirich failed to register a height, however, knocking the standard off on the third attempt at his opening height.
The Cougars will compete in three events Saturday at the Utah State Mark Faldmo Invite in Logan, Utah.
Mason Porter is a Sports Information Director for BYU Athletic Communications. Contact him at email@example.com.
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- Penn State sweeps BYU for a record seventh...
- Dick Harmon: Execution, not words, will crown...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Utah State caps historic season with win over...
- Utah basketball team makes it a doubly-good...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 62
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 42
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 40
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28