High school boys soccer: Layton Christian Eagles shut out ICS, win final home match of the season
LAYTON — The Layton Christian Eagles defended their home pitch in the last home game of the season, defeating the Intermountain Christian Lions 7-0.
Jack Chandler started the Eagles' scoring in the latter stages of the first half. Chandler sped past all defenders and slid the ball past the Lions' goalkeeper. Ricardo Gomez added a second Eagle tally just minutes later.
The first half ended with LCA up two goals. ICS goalkeeper Jamie Kerr was instrumental in keeping the Falcons in the game during the first half. Kerr stopped at least eight Eagle shots during the opening 40 minutes.
However, the Eagles came out after the break with renewed determination. Chandler scored the next two goals to earn a hat trick. Adding to the Eagle scoring was Gomez (his second), Shadadi Musemakweli, and Hunter Nyilimanzi.
The play was almost exclusively contained in the LCA attacking third. Layton Christian exploited its deep bench, keeping fresh players in the game. The Lions mustered only one shot late in the second half.
Eagle head coach Chris Tatro credited his team for moving the ball around and for playing cohesively. As LCA readies for the playoffs, coach Tatro says the key to the Eagles' playoff run will be each player performing up to their ability.
The Eagles take a 7-1-2 record on the road for their final two matches. LCA travels south to Draper to face the Summit Academy Falcons on April 25.
Gary Czenkus is an Air Force veteran and graduate of the University of Nebraska. EMAIL: email@example.com
- U. student government passes resolution to...
- No timeline set to find Utah Jazz's new head...
- Doug Robinson: Utah Jazz have come full...
- Utah Sports Ruckus: Grading the Jazz's...
- To serve or not to serve: BYU star athletes...
- Rock On: Lighten up, Gordon Hayward
- Deseret News 2014 NFL Mock Draft: Where are...
- High school sports: Tuesday's roundup
- U. student government passes resolution... 104
- Utah Jazz: Tyrone Corbin's contract... 56
- To serve or not to serve: BYU star... 41
- Doug Robinson: Utah Jazz have come full... 29
- Dick Harmon: BYU's loading up with... 26
- Mike Sorensen: To keep or not to keep... 24
- Speculation begins about who the next... 24
- Utah Jazz: Plan's playing out, but... 19