High school boys soccer: Layton Christian Eagles shut out ICS, win final home match of the season
LAYTON — The Layton Christian Eagles defended their home pitch in the last home game of the season, defeating the Intermountain Christian Lions 7-0.
Jack Chandler started the Eagles' scoring in the latter stages of the first half. Chandler sped past all defenders and slid the ball past the Lions' goalkeeper. Ricardo Gomez added a second Eagle tally just minutes later.
The first half ended with LCA up two goals. ICS goalkeeper Jamie Kerr was instrumental in keeping the Falcons in the game during the first half. Kerr stopped at least eight Eagle shots during the opening 40 minutes.
However, the Eagles came out after the break with renewed determination. Chandler scored the next two goals to earn a hat trick. Adding to the Eagle scoring was Gomez (his second), Shadadi Musemakweli, and Hunter Nyilimanzi.
The play was almost exclusively contained in the LCA attacking third. Layton Christian exploited its deep bench, keeping fresh players in the game. The Lions mustered only one shot late in the second half.
Eagle head coach Chris Tatro credited his team for moving the ball around and for playing cohesively. As LCA readies for the playoffs, coach Tatro says the key to the Eagles' playoff run will be each player performing up to their ability.
The Eagles take a 7-1-2 record on the road for their final two matches. LCA travels south to Draper to face the Summit Academy Falcons on April 25.
Gary Czenkus is an Air Force veteran and graduate of the University of Nebraska. EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Discipline a focus of spring ball for BYU; 10...
- Brad Rock: When it comes to rioting, Miami...
- Jazz grind out impressive 93-82 win in Memphis
- After year layoff, BYU's Kurtz happy to be...
- A tale of two Hills at quarterback for BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Credit BYU's Rose for...
- Video: Former Utah Jazz draft pick Luther...
- It was historic weekend for BYU basketball...
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70 110
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle... 83
- Discipline a focus of spring ball for... 70
- Holmoe assesses the state of the... 50
- Mike Sorensen: How about a Utah-BYU... 44
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the... 41
- Morning links: Is BYU now in the... 40
- Brad Rock: When it comes to rioting,... 29