High school boys soccer: Layton Christian Eagles shut out ICS, win final home match of the season
LAYTON — The Layton Christian Eagles defended their home pitch in the last home game of the season, defeating the Intermountain Christian Lions 7-0.
Jack Chandler started the Eagles' scoring in the latter stages of the first half. Chandler sped past all defenders and slid the ball past the Lions' goalkeeper. Ricardo Gomez added a second Eagle tally just minutes later.
The first half ended with LCA up two goals. ICS goalkeeper Jamie Kerr was instrumental in keeping the Falcons in the game during the first half. Kerr stopped at least eight Eagle shots during the opening 40 minutes.
However, the Eagles came out after the break with renewed determination. Chandler scored the next two goals to earn a hat trick. Adding to the Eagle scoring was Gomez (his second), Shadadi Musemakweli, and Hunter Nyilimanzi.
The play was almost exclusively contained in the LCA attacking third. Layton Christian exploited its deep bench, keeping fresh players in the game. The Lions mustered only one shot late in the second half.
Eagle head coach Chris Tatro credited his team for moving the ball around and for playing cohesively. As LCA readies for the playoffs, coach Tatro says the key to the Eagles' playoff run will be each player performing up to their ability.
The Eagles take a 7-1-2 record on the road for their final two matches. LCA travels south to Draper to face the Summit Academy Falcons on April 25.
Gary Czenkus is an Air Force veteran and graduate of the University of Nebraska. EMAIL: email@example.com
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- No. 21 BYU faces opportunistic, upset-minded...
- Utes outlast weather delay en route to 26-10...
- Dick Harmon: Fredette family discusses...
- BYU Cougars happy to have Saturday afternoon...
- College football: Utes wrap up...
- Friday night lights central, week 5: Scores,...
- High school football: Royals rock Grizzlies...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 108
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 78
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 72
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 65
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33