NAPERVILLE, Ill. — Utah Valley University's Nicholas Taylor and Texas-Pan American's Jasmine Davison have been named Great West Conference Track and Field Athletes of the Week. The awards were announced Friday by the conference office.
The men's honor went to Taylor after he finished first and second in the 200 meters and 100 meters, respectively, at the Utah Spring Classic in Salt Lake City, Utah. Taylor, a sophomore from Pearland, Texas, won the 200 with the time of 21.31 seconds, the best in the GWC this season, and placed second in the 100 with the time of 10.63.
Davison won the hammer throw at the Javelina Twilight Invitational in Kingsville, Texas, with a career-best mark of 51.93 meters (170-4). The throw qualified the sophomore from San Antonio, Texas, for the Penn Relays, and it was the top distance in the GWC this season and third-longest in UTPA history.
Others nominated for the weekly honors were Chicago State's Sharifah Robertson, Houston Baptist's Brittane Gaines, Texas-Pan American's Joshua Rosalez and Utah Valley's Maryn Pincock.
Houston Baptist will host the 2013 GWC Track and Field Championships, May 3-5, at Humble, Texas.
Jay Hinton is a sports information assistant at Utah Valley University.
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 79
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 62
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 40
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35