Utah State men's tennis fell to Western Athletic Conference rivals Denver, 4-0, Friday in its last dual match of the regular season. Both teams agreed to play to four. With the loss the Aggies fall to 7-13 overall for the season and 2-4 in league play.
In singles action, junior Fredrik Peterson was taken down by Jens Vorkefeld in straight sets at the No. 2 spot (6-3, 6-2). At the No. 3 spot, sophomore Matt Sweet fell to Henry Craig in straight sets (6-4, 6-2), and at the No. 4 spot, sophomore Curran Wearmouth was defeated by Alex Clinkenbeard in straight sets (6-4, 6-1). The other singles matches were left unfinished.
Denver also won both completed doubles matches securing themselves the point. At the first position, Sweet and senior partner Sven Poslunsy fell to Enej Bonin and Vorkefeld, 8-5. At the third position, Peterson and Wearmouth were defeated by Clinkenbeard and Luke Manley, 8-3. The second position match was left unfinished.
Next week the Aggies will travel back to Denver to compete in the WAC tournament. Play will take place at Gates Tennis Center on April 26-28.
1. Enej Bonin (DU) vs Sven Poslusny (USU) UF
2. Jens Vorkefeld (DU) def. Fredrik Peterson (USU) 6-3, 6-2Comment on this story
3. Henry Craig (DU) def. Matt Sweet (USU) 6-4, 6-2
4. Alex Clinkenbeard (DU) def. Curran Wearmouth (USU) 6-4, 6-1
5. Luke Manley (DU) vs. Marcus Fritz (USU) UF
6. Frederick Bjorne (DU) vs Andrew Whiting (USU) UF
1. Enej Bonin/Jens Vorkefeld (DU) def. n Poslusny/Matt Sweet (USU) 8-5
2. Max Krammer/Fabio Biasion (DU) vs Marcus Fritz/Andrew Whiting (USU) UF
3. Alex Clinkenbeard/Luke Manley (DU) def. Fredrik Peterson/Curran Wearmouth (USU) 8-3
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.