PROVO, Utah – Continuing in conference play, the BYU women’s tennis team fell to No. 71 Pepperdine 4-1 on Friday at the BYU outdoor tennis courts.
The Waves (10-11) improve to 7-1 in league play, while the Cougars (9-10) fall to 2-5 on the year.
“We competed well today, especially in doubles,” BYU coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said. “But in the end we just didn’t pull it out.”
Morgan Anderson and Mackenna Maddox played a tight match at the No. 2 doubles position. The score was tied late in the match before Pepperdine’s Ale Granillo and Michaela Capannolo rallied to earn the 9-7 victory.
On court 3, Aubrey Paul and Desiree Tran fell to Lorraine Guillermo and Danielle Feneridis to clinch the doubles point for the Waves.
In singles play, BYU was highlighted by freshman Nicolette Tran at the No. 4 position as she picked up a point and earned her third consecutive win, defeating Megan Moore in straight sets, 6-2, 6-4.
“Nicolette has been doing awesome — she’s a tough player,” Jones-Spencer said. “She just goes out there, hits the ball hard cross-court and is confident. She had a great result today.”
On court 5, Maddox turned in another strong effort for BYU. The freshman forced her first set into a tiebreak, but she eventually fell to Michaela Capannolo, 7-6, 6-2.
Meghan Sheehan-Dizon and Anderon each suffered defeated on their respective courts as Pepperdine collected three points in singles matches.
The Cougars return to action Saturday for their last home match of the year at noon against Loyla Marymount.
Doubles 1. Sheehan-Dizon/N. Tran (BYU) vs. Issara/Moore (PEP) DNF 2. Granillo/Capannolo (PEP) def. Anderson/Maddox (BYU) 9-7 3. Guillermo/Feneridis (PEP) def. Paul/D. Tran (BYU) 8-1 Order of finish: 3, 2
Singles 1. Lorraine Guillermo (PEP) def. Meghan Sheehan-Dizon (BYU) 6-2, 6-4 2. Desiree Tran (BYU) vs. Khunpak Issara (PEP) 6-7, 3-5 DNF 3. Ale Granillo (PEP) def. Morgan Anderson (BYU) 6-1, 6-2 4. Nicolette Tran (BYU) def. Megan Moore (PEP) 6-2, 6-4 5. Michaela Capannolo (PEP) def. Mackenna Maddox (BYU) 7-6, 6-2 6. Aubrey Paul (BYU) vs. Danielle Feneridis (PEP) 3-6, 6-4, 1-3 DNF Order of finish: 3, 1, 4, 5
Aaron Sorenson is the tennis sports information director at BYU.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- 11-year-old Salt Lake native once again...
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- NFL locals photo gallery: Ansah grabs the...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 45