PROVO, Utah – Continuing in conference play, the BYU women’s tennis team fell to No. 71 Pepperdine 4-1 on Friday at the BYU outdoor tennis courts.
The Waves (10-11) improve to 7-1 in league play, while the Cougars (9-10) fall to 2-5 on the year.
“We competed well today, especially in doubles,” BYU coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said. “But in the end we just didn’t pull it out.”
Morgan Anderson and Mackenna Maddox played a tight match at the No. 2 doubles position. The score was tied late in the match before Pepperdine’s Ale Granillo and Michaela Capannolo rallied to earn the 9-7 victory.
On court 3, Aubrey Paul and Desiree Tran fell to Lorraine Guillermo and Danielle Feneridis to clinch the doubles point for the Waves.
In singles play, BYU was highlighted by freshman Nicolette Tran at the No. 4 position as she picked up a point and earned her third consecutive win, defeating Megan Moore in straight sets, 6-2, 6-4.
“Nicolette has been doing awesome — she’s a tough player,” Jones-Spencer said. “She just goes out there, hits the ball hard cross-court and is confident. She had a great result today.”
On court 5, Maddox turned in another strong effort for BYU. The freshman forced her first set into a tiebreak, but she eventually fell to Michaela Capannolo, 7-6, 6-2.
Meghan Sheehan-Dizon and Anderon each suffered defeated on their respective courts as Pepperdine collected three points in singles matches.
The Cougars return to action Saturday for their last home match of the year at noon against Loyla Marymount.
Doubles 1. Sheehan-Dizon/N. Tran (BYU) vs. Issara/Moore (PEP) DNF 2. Granillo/Capannolo (PEP) def. Anderson/Maddox (BYU) 9-7 3. Guillermo/Feneridis (PEP) def. Paul/D. Tran (BYU) 8-1 Order of finish: 3, 2
Singles 1. Lorraine Guillermo (PEP) def. Meghan Sheehan-Dizon (BYU) 6-2, 6-4 2. Desiree Tran (BYU) vs. Khunpak Issara (PEP) 6-7, 3-5 DNF 3. Ale Granillo (PEP) def. Morgan Anderson (BYU) 6-1, 6-2 4. Nicolette Tran (BYU) def. Megan Moore (PEP) 6-2, 6-4 5. Michaela Capannolo (PEP) def. Mackenna Maddox (BYU) 7-6, 6-2 6. Aubrey Paul (BYU) vs. Danielle Feneridis (PEP) 3-6, 6-4, 1-3 DNF Order of finish: 3, 1, 4, 5
Aaron Sorenson is the tennis sports information director at BYU.
- 16 Mormon pop culture moments from 2014-15
- Haws breaks all-time scoring record in 1st...
- 15 signs that you're addicted to your Fitbit
- High school basketball tournaments: Pairings,...
- 4A boys state tournament central: Live...
- 20 questions: How well do you know Tyler...
- Haws' teammates marvel at his BYU scoring record
- Brad Rock: Utes have something to brag about...
- Too many turnovers, not enough baskets... 114
- Peavler: BYU and Utah would both be... 90
- Holmoe talks about bowl brawl... 81
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 56
- Utah falls to No. 13 in AP poll;... 43
- Utes bounce back, blast Sun Devils 38
- Dick Harmon: Putting Haws' impending... 37
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 30