PROVO, Utah – Continuing in conference play, the BYU women’s tennis team fell to No. 71 Pepperdine 4-1 on Friday at the BYU outdoor tennis courts.
The Waves (10-11) improve to 7-1 in league play, while the Cougars (9-10) fall to 2-5 on the year.
“We competed well today, especially in doubles,” BYU coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said. “But in the end we just didn’t pull it out.”
Morgan Anderson and Mackenna Maddox played a tight match at the No. 2 doubles position. The score was tied late in the match before Pepperdine’s Ale Granillo and Michaela Capannolo rallied to earn the 9-7 victory.
On court 3, Aubrey Paul and Desiree Tran fell to Lorraine Guillermo and Danielle Feneridis to clinch the doubles point for the Waves.
In singles play, BYU was highlighted by freshman Nicolette Tran at the No. 4 position as she picked up a point and earned her third consecutive win, defeating Megan Moore in straight sets, 6-2, 6-4.
“Nicolette has been doing awesome — she’s a tough player,” Jones-Spencer said. “She just goes out there, hits the ball hard cross-court and is confident. She had a great result today.”
On court 5, Maddox turned in another strong effort for BYU. The freshman forced her first set into a tiebreak, but she eventually fell to Michaela Capannolo, 7-6, 6-2.
Meghan Sheehan-Dizon and Anderon each suffered defeated on their respective courts as Pepperdine collected three points in singles matches.
The Cougars return to action Saturday for their last home match of the year at noon against Loyla Marymount.
Doubles 1. Sheehan-Dizon/N. Tran (BYU) vs. Issara/Moore (PEP) DNF 2. Granillo/Capannolo (PEP) def. Anderson/Maddox (BYU) 9-7 3. Guillermo/Feneridis (PEP) def. Paul/D. Tran (BYU) 8-1 Order of finish: 3, 2
Singles 1. Lorraine Guillermo (PEP) def. Meghan Sheehan-Dizon (BYU) 6-2, 6-4 2. Desiree Tran (BYU) vs. Khunpak Issara (PEP) 6-7, 3-5 DNF 3. Ale Granillo (PEP) def. Morgan Anderson (BYU) 6-1, 6-2 4. Nicolette Tran (BYU) def. Megan Moore (PEP) 6-2, 6-4 5. Michaela Capannolo (PEP) def. Mackenna Maddox (BYU) 7-6, 6-2 6. Aubrey Paul (BYU) vs. Danielle Feneridis (PEP) 3-6, 6-4, 1-3 DNF Order of finish: 3, 1, 4, 5
Aaron Sorenson is the tennis sports information director at BYU.
- Emery scores career-high 37 points to lead...
- Utah Jazz: Analyzing 3 trade possibilities as...
- 40-foot jumper by Lexi Rydalch secures BYU's...
- Rise and Shout: "Jeopardy!" contestants...
- Dick Harmon: The night the rim got wide as a...
- High school wrestling: Pleasant Grove dynasty...
- Morning links: Hayward becomes 'gaming...
- 3 Utah football coaches promoted in staff...
- Emery scores career-high 37 points to... 71
- Rise and Shout: "Jeopardy!" contestants... 60
- 13 locals invited to 2016 NFL Scouting... 50
- Doug Robinson: Peyton Manning sells out... 45
- Dick Harmon: Time running out for Dave... 45
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share... 44
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former... 40
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU... 39