PROVO, Utah – Continuing in conference play, the BYU women’s tennis team fell to No. 71 Pepperdine 4-1 on Friday at the BYU outdoor tennis courts.
The Waves (10-11) improve to 7-1 in league play, while the Cougars (9-10) fall to 2-5 on the year.
“We competed well today, especially in doubles,” BYU coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said. “But in the end we just didn’t pull it out.”
Morgan Anderson and Mackenna Maddox played a tight match at the No. 2 doubles position. The score was tied late in the match before Pepperdine’s Ale Granillo and Michaela Capannolo rallied to earn the 9-7 victory.
On court 3, Aubrey Paul and Desiree Tran fell to Lorraine Guillermo and Danielle Feneridis to clinch the doubles point for the Waves.
In singles play, BYU was highlighted by freshman Nicolette Tran at the No. 4 position as she picked up a point and earned her third consecutive win, defeating Megan Moore in straight sets, 6-2, 6-4.
“Nicolette has been doing awesome — she’s a tough player,” Jones-Spencer said. “She just goes out there, hits the ball hard cross-court and is confident. She had a great result today.”
On court 5, Maddox turned in another strong effort for BYU. The freshman forced her first set into a tiebreak, but she eventually fell to Michaela Capannolo, 7-6, 6-2.
Meghan Sheehan-Dizon and Anderon each suffered defeated on their respective courts as Pepperdine collected three points in singles matches.
The Cougars return to action Saturday for their last home match of the year at noon against Loyla Marymount.
Doubles 1. Sheehan-Dizon/N. Tran (BYU) vs. Issara/Moore (PEP) DNF 2. Granillo/Capannolo (PEP) def. Anderson/Maddox (BYU) 9-7 3. Guillermo/Feneridis (PEP) def. Paul/D. Tran (BYU) 8-1 Order of finish: 3, 2
Singles 1. Lorraine Guillermo (PEP) def. Meghan Sheehan-Dizon (BYU) 6-2, 6-4 2. Desiree Tran (BYU) vs. Khunpak Issara (PEP) 6-7, 3-5 DNF 3. Ale Granillo (PEP) def. Morgan Anderson (BYU) 6-1, 6-2 4. Nicolette Tran (BYU) def. Megan Moore (PEP) 6-2, 6-4 5. Michaela Capannolo (PEP) def. Mackenna Maddox (BYU) 7-6, 6-2 6. Aubrey Paul (BYU) vs. Danielle Feneridis (PEP) 3-6, 6-4, 1-3 DNF Order of finish: 3, 1, 4, 5
Aaron Sorenson is the tennis sports information director at BYU.
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 46
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 25