Dick Harmon: Kansas State coach Bill Snyder says college football is in a bad direction
But, like Snyder said, it is headed for a bad place.
Things are a little out of whack.
LSU, Ohio State and Texas have sports programs that bring in $60 million - $100 million in revenues. It makes sense you’d throw $3 million - $4 million at a football staff.
But then you have 19-year-old kids taking out student loans of $70,000 to $100,000 to get undergraduate and post-graduate degrees that shackle them for decades — the price of education.
Asked how he’d go about changing things in college football, Snyder said it would be a tough job.
“You’ve got to understand the issues to have a solution. It’s a hard task; I certainly understand that. I look around and see so much pressure being placed on athletes and coaches to perform well. That is kind of a driving force, and I understand that any profession that you happen to be in if you’re not a productive individual in that profession or career, you run the risk of losing your position. I read it and see some things, as well, where it’s all about the student-athlete. And sometimes we say things that really aren’t accurate. “
Then Snyder concludes with this confession: “I’m grossly overpaid for what I do, and I think that’s probably part of what creates the issue. A lot of problems and solutions are not as easy to come by.”
I respect Snyder.
He speaks honestly of these times that make us scratch our heads.
Dick Harmon, Deseret News sports columnist, can be found on Twitter as Harmonwrites and can be contacted at email@example.com.
- BYU football: Practice fights elicit smiles...
- Tournament central: 5A boys quarterfinals...
- Doug Robinson: Time to move on for Wasatch...
- High school boys basketball: Lone Peak...
- Utah basketball: Utes clip Cal in pivotal...
- Dick Harmon: WCC tournament a chance for BYU...
- High school boys basketball: American Fork...
- High school boys basketball: Davis survives...
- Utah basketball: Utes clip Cal in... 75
- Jimmer Fredette makes debut with... 68
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 54
- UteLinks: A look at Utah's RPI breakdown 52
- BYU football: Practice fights elicit... 44
- BYU baseball: BYU beats Utah, 20-3 43
- Doug Robinson: Time to move on for... 39
- CougarLinks: BYU picked to win WCC... 27