Dick Harmon: Kansas State coach Bill Snyder says college football is in a bad direction
But, like Snyder said, it is headed for a bad place.
Things are a little out of whack.
LSU, Ohio State and Texas have sports programs that bring in $60 million - $100 million in revenues. It makes sense you’d throw $3 million - $4 million at a football staff.
But then you have 19-year-old kids taking out student loans of $70,000 to $100,000 to get undergraduate and post-graduate degrees that shackle them for decades — the price of education.
Asked how he’d go about changing things in college football, Snyder said it would be a tough job.
“You’ve got to understand the issues to have a solution. It’s a hard task; I certainly understand that. I look around and see so much pressure being placed on athletes and coaches to perform well. That is kind of a driving force, and I understand that any profession that you happen to be in if you’re not a productive individual in that profession or career, you run the risk of losing your position. I read it and see some things, as well, where it’s all about the student-athlete. And sometimes we say things that really aren’t accurate. “
Then Snyder concludes with this confession: “I’m grossly overpaid for what I do, and I think that’s probably part of what creates the issue. A lot of problems and solutions are not as easy to come by.”
I respect Snyder.
He speaks honestly of these times that make us scratch our heads.
Dick Harmon, Deseret News sports columnist, can be found on Twitter as Harmonwrites and can be contacted at email@example.com.
- Records fall as BYU, Chase Fischer shoot past...
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- High school boys basketball: 5A team-by-team...
- Jazz forward Trevor Booker assists Utah...
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's season of...
- 4A boys basketball for 2014-15 season
- Brotherhood: Vigil brothers have been driving...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 160
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 93
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 48
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 45
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 40
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 33
- Utes on the verge of a winning Pac-12... 30