Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah coach Kyle Whittingham said Saturday’s spring game at Rice-Eccles Stadium will give the staff “one more opportunity to evaluate” some position battles as camp comes to an end.
It’ll also give fans another chance to watch the Utes play before the Aug. 29 season opener at home against Utah State.
Saturday’s activities begin at 6 a.m. with the Utah Football Ultimate Tailgate Championship in the parking lot west of the stadium. Fans are invited to check out the competition. A celebrity panel will judge the entries at 10 a.m.
The festivities move inside the stadium at 11 a.m. with the MUSS flag football game. At noon, former Utah football players will take the field for another flag football contest. Then comes the spring finale at 1 p.m. The Red-White Game will be televised live on the Pac-12 Networks.
Whittingham said the teams will be divided evenly. Assistants Morgan Scalley and Jay Hill are serving as head coaches for the Red and White squads, respectively. The game will feature four 10-minute quarters with a running clock in the second half. No kickoff or punt returns are planned, and after any score of any type, the scoring team will retain possession if trailing by 10 or more points.
Although the offense has no limitations, the defense is restricted to just a “base” scheme. Quarterbacks Travis Wilson and Adam Schulz will be off-limits for tacklers and key defenders like defensive tackle Tenny Palepoi and safety Eric Rowe will not play.
Between breaks, Utah will receive the 2012-13 Deseret First Duel All-Sports Trophy, and the Women’s N.I.T. finalist team will be honored. Tailgate winners are also scheduled to receive recognition. An official announcement regarding the volleyball team’s move to the Huntsman Center next season will also be made.
Admission and parking is free.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 29
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 24
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 21
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 19