OREM — A country superstar, classic romantic stories and a salute to the signature sound of Motown groups and The Eagles of "Hotel California" round out the hit-studded 2013 season for the SCERA Shell Outdoor Theatre.
On Memorial Day, the All-4-One group will bring back the pop and R&B sounds of songs made famous by Motown groups such as The Temptations.
In June, country music superstar Josh Turner brings his trademark soulful baritone to the SCERA, singing love ballads and blue-grass hits that put him on the list for Grammy, Country Music Association and Academy of Country Music Awards.
The 5th Dimension featuring Florence LaRue performs July 22, followed on Aug. 19 by Bill Medley of The Righteous Brothers' famed trio performing with his daughter, McKenna.
Grammy-winner singer/songwriter Richard Marx is back by popular demand on Aug. 29.
"Hotel California: A Salute to The Eagles" is slated for the Labor Day concert Sept. 2.
"Tarzan: The Musical" will be the first summer stage show set to open June 6, followed by July by "The Sound of Music" opening July 5. "The Scarlet Pimpernel" — a patron favorite — story of dramatic adventure and romantic mystery comes to the SCERA Shell Aug. 2.
In addition, Utah’s nationally prominent professional dancers will demonstrate explosive ballroom, jazz and hip-hop choreography Aug. 23-24 in the 8th annual “Dancing Under the Stars.”
Outdoor movies and the 8th Annual Celebrity vocal competition are part of the offering. Preliminary nights of the vocal competition precede the first six movies.
“We’ve got something to entertain just about everyone,” says Adam J. Robertson, SCERA President and CEO. “Some country, pop, R&B, classic rock, 80s and oldies — plus some stage favorites that are nostalgic, dramatic and fun.”
For event prices, discount offers or to purchase season or individual event tickets, call 801-225-ARTS, or visit http://www.scera.org.
The SCERA Shell Outdoor Theatre is located at 699 South State, Orem, in the middle of SCERA Park. All performances start at 8 p.m. MDT.
Sharon Haddock is a professional writer with 35 years experience, 17 at the Deseret News. Her personal blog is at sharonhaddock.blogspot.com.
- Broadway composer Frank Wildhorn visits...
- Book review: Long-awaited 'Raven King' ends...
- Five for Families: Live-action Disney films...
- Utah Opera to explore love in Mozart's...
- Video game adaptation 'Ratchet & Clank' has...
- Dan Wells talks about right, wrong in horror...
- 'Mother's Day' means well but misses its mark...
- Book review: 'The Nest' turns dreams and...
- Chris Hicks: 18 of Cary Grant's... 1
- 'Mother's Day' means well but misses... 1
- Dan Wells talks about right, wrong in... 1
- Utah Symphony gets standing ovation at... 1
- Prince siblings stand to make millions... 0
- Cate Blanchett named goodwill... 0
- Chris Hicks: Sweet, insightful... 0
- Fred Hersch Trio returns to S.L. after... 0