USU football: Aggie coaches want efficiency and execution in spring game
Tom Smart, Deseret News, Tom Smart, Deseret News, Tom Smart, Deseret News
Utah State football’s annual Blue vs. White spring game will be held Saturday, April 20, on Merlin Olsen Field at Romney Stadium at 2 p.m. The spring game will be streamed live via USU’s athletics website.
The day will begin with the fourth-annual HURD Bowl at 10 a.m. with an eight-team tournament.
The game itself will pit the offense (Blue) vs. the defense (White). The first half will consist of two 15-minute quarters played with normal clock rules. Following a five-minute halftime, the second half will consist of two 10-minute running time quarters — except for the final two-minutes of the fourth quarter.
The offense will get six points for a touchdown, three points for a field goal, two points for a rush of 15 or more yards, two points for a pass of 20 or more yards, one point for a first down and one or two points for respective conversions. The defense will earn six points for a touchdown, five points for a turnover, three points for a three-and-out, three points for a blocked field goal, two points for a stopped drive, sack or tackle for loss, as well as one or two points for failed respective conversions. There will be no kickoffs and all possessions will start at the 25.
“I want to see great execution and great efficiency, especially early on when the veteran players are going against each other,” coach Matt Wells said. “Offensively, I want to see balls completed and touchdowns. On the flip side, it's about time we get a pick in the back end. The third downs will be fun to watch because it's been such an emphasis on both sides of the ball.”
Following the scrimmage, all former Aggie lettermen in attendance will be invited onto the field and asked to lineup in the north end zone, where they will be recognized as a group. This group will also meet and shake hands with every current USU football player prior to the players interacting with all Aggie fans on the field during their autograph session, where a limited number of USU spring football posters will be available.
Fans who purchase or renew their season tickets by April 20 will be able to purchase two additional single-game tickets to this year’s home game against BYU on Oct. 4. Fans must purchases at least two season ticket packages to be eligible for the offer.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to Cleveland...
- The original BCS busters: Looking back at...
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not on...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Utah Jazz: Latest acquisition Booker aims to...
- Utah football: Pac-12 Football Media Day Central
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 225
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 93
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 76
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 46
- ACC media days has some interesting... 43
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 41
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 27
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to... 26