Seniors can learn to avoid deceptive financial advice by watching for warning signs listed by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau in a Wednesday report.
Various types of fraud or abusive practices are common when targeting senior citizens, whether it’s a free meal seminar with high-pressure sales pitches for products or other bad retirement advice.
Though all consumers have to carefully distinguish among deceptive financial practices, senior citizens need to be especially vigilant.
Investments that have overly consistent returns offered with seemingly little risk, complicated strategies with lots of jargon, pushy salespeople or guarantees are all red flags seniors can watch for when considering retirement pitches, according to NerdWallet. Investments can’t be guaranteed because they have risks.
For lawmakers, the CFPB also gave seven points to consider when passing protection laws for seniors.
The CFPB wants regulatory action that would:
- Include tools to show transparency so credentials and policies are easily seen.
- Create a mechanism to capture complaints against senior designation holders.
- Increase disclosure requirements that financial professionals have to follow.
- Require minimum standards, including coursework and testing, that those who want to acquire senior designations have to meet. These would improve the quality and consistency of professionals.
- Require minimum standards of conduct for those who hold senior designations.
- Increase supervision in order to penalize professionals in the case of misconduct.
- Provide a way for seniors who have been affected by a professional's conduct to seek relief.
- Is your financial house in order? 10...
- The 50 hardest-working cities in America,...
- Transportation plan focuses on mass transit...
- ‘Wife bonus:’ Is paying women...
- Balancing act: It's time, again, to leave my...
- Obama muses about his legacy, offers...
- Which 2 Utah cities made the cut for housing...
- Dave Ramsey says: The long-term effects of...
- Is your financial house in order? 10... 27
- Obama muses about his legacy, offers... 23
- ‘Wife bonus:’ Is paying... 13
- Dave Ramsey says: Build your budget... 2
- 1 number you should check each year to... 2
- Michelle Singletary: Helping your adult... 1
- Balancing act: It's time, again, to... 1
- Get ready for a real-life Nintendo Land 1