WALNUT, Calif. — Running in the second fastest division of the 10,000-meter run at the Mt. Sac Relays, Taylor Farnsworth took first place in dramatic fashion, passing four runners in the final 400-meters on his way to victory.
“I thought Farnsworth closed very strong in the last 400,” distance coach Ed Eyestone said. “He moved from fifth place to first over that stretch, and it was a great finish from him to get a time that will qualify him for regionals.”
Farnsworth clocked in at 29:33.65, two seconds ahead of the second-place runner. Spencer Gardner also ran in the same division, the Olympic Development division, and placed 22nd with a time of 30:35.97.
Conner Peloquin took second in Group A of the Open division of the 10,000-meters, finishing in 29:35.02.
In the 1,500-meters Open division, Ryan Jones ran a season-best time of 3:49.94, taking third place in his heat. Jones took 36th overall out of more than 130 athletes who competed in the division. Jared Rohatinsky and Brad Nye also competed in the Open division, taking 67th and 82nd overall, respectively, with times of 3:52.62 and 3:54.29.
James Tracy took fourth overall in the Olympic Development division of the 3,000-meter steeplechase with a time of 8:58.74. Curtis Carr ran in the same division, taking 11th overall with a time of 9:07.32. It was Carr’s first race of the track season after dealing with injury issues for the first part of the year.
“I thought Carr ran very well for his first race back,” Eyestone said. “I think it set him up well, and I can see him on his way to make regionals.”
Competition at the Mt. Sac Relays continues Friday. BYU will compete in the 5,000-meter run and pole vault competitions.
Mason Porter is a Sports Information Director for BYU Athletic Communications. Contact him at email@example.com.
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- Utah football: Utes to take on a familiar...
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- Utah State infographic: Aggies' Keeton...
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 65
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 58
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28
- BYU's suspended players expected to be... 28