WALNUT, Calif. — Running in the second fastest division of the 10,000-meter run at the Mt. Sac Relays, Taylor Farnsworth took first place in dramatic fashion, passing four runners in the final 400-meters on his way to victory.
“I thought Farnsworth closed very strong in the last 400,” distance coach Ed Eyestone said. “He moved from fifth place to first over that stretch, and it was a great finish from him to get a time that will qualify him for regionals.”
Farnsworth clocked in at 29:33.65, two seconds ahead of the second-place runner. Spencer Gardner also ran in the same division, the Olympic Development division, and placed 22nd with a time of 30:35.97.
Conner Peloquin took second in Group A of the Open division of the 10,000-meters, finishing in 29:35.02.
In the 1,500-meters Open division, Ryan Jones ran a season-best time of 3:49.94, taking third place in his heat. Jones took 36th overall out of more than 130 athletes who competed in the division. Jared Rohatinsky and Brad Nye also competed in the Open division, taking 67th and 82nd overall, respectively, with times of 3:52.62 and 3:54.29.
James Tracy took fourth overall in the Olympic Development division of the 3,000-meter steeplechase with a time of 8:58.74. Curtis Carr ran in the same division, taking 11th overall with a time of 9:07.32. It was Carr’s first race of the track season after dealing with injury issues for the first part of the year.
“I thought Carr ran very well for his first race back,” Eyestone said. “I think it set him up well, and I can see him on his way to make regionals.”
Competition at the Mt. Sac Relays continues Friday. BYU will compete in the 5,000-meter run and pole vault competitions.
Mason Porter is a Sports Information Director for BYU Athletic Communications. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- BYU-Memphis an 'intriguing' bowl matchup
- Sunday morning QB: Stars and stats from No....
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- BYU coach Shawn Olmstead provided calming...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 62
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 51
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Brad Rock: This is where conference... 25