Utah State men's tennis fell to Air Force, 4-0, Thursday to fall to 7-13 on the season. Both teams agreed to play to four due to time.
In singles play, senior Sven Poslusny was taken down in straight sets by Lance Wilhelm at the No. 1 spot (6-3, 6-4). At the No. 3 spot, sophomore Matt Sweet was defeated by Grant Taylor in straight sets (7-6, 6-3). At the No. 4 spot, sophomore Curran Wearmouth fell to Alex Grubbs in straight sets (6-2, 6-1). The rest of the singles matches were left unfinished.
In doubles action, Poslusny and Sweet fell to Wilhelm and Taylor, 8-7, at the first position. At the second doubles position, sophomore Marcus Fritz and junior Andrew Whiting were defeated by Grubbs and McCullers, 8-3. At the third position, junior Fredrik Peterson and Wearmouth were taken down by Young and Jackson, 8-3.
Next up for Utah State will be a Western Athletic Conference match at Denver on Friday, Apr. 19 at 1 p.m.
1. Lance Wilhelm (AFA) def. Sven Poslusny (USU) 6-3, 6-4Comment on this story
2. Steven Young (AFA) vs Fredrik Peterson (USU) 7-6, 3-1 UF
3. Grant Taylor (AFA) def. Matt Sweet (USU) 7-6 6-3
4. Alex Grubbs (AFA) def. Curran Wearmouth (USU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Andy Jackson (AFA) vs Marcus Fritz (USU) 3-4 UF
6. Andreew Parks (AFA) vs Andrew Whiting 0-1 UF
1. Wilhelm/Taylor (AFA) def. Poslusny/Sweet (USU) 8-7
2. Grubbs/McCullers (AFA) def. Fritz/Whiting (USU) 8-3
3. Young/Jackson (AFA) Peterson/Wearmouth (USU) 8-3
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.