USU softball: Aggies set to open WAC series with Friday doubleheader against LA Tech
Utah State softball (8-36, 2-10 WAC) will turn its attention back to Western Athletic Conference action as it prepares to welcome Louisiana Tech to Johnson Field for a three-game weekend series. The Lady Techsters enter the series with a 6-6 mark in WAC games to go along with a 21-20 overall record on the season.
This weekend's series will get underway on Friday, April 19, with a doubleheader starting at 2 p.m. The second game of the day is set to start at approximately 4 p.m.
USU is looking to rebound in WAC play as it dropped three games last week to Seattle U in Seattle. This weekend's series will be the final matchup between the two conference foes that have been meeting every season since the Aggies joined the WAC in 2005-06.
Helping to lead Utah State will be junior utility player Kassandra Uchida, who has been swinging a hot bat as of late. The junior is touting the second-highest batting average for her squad in conference games, with a. 333 average at the plate.
In the circle, USU will look to senior pitcher Mandy Harmon who is holding opponents to a .131 batting average against her which is the lowest in the league.
The Aggies will wrap up their three-game homestand with the Lady Techsters on Saturday, April 20, and action is set to get underway at 12 p.m. Saturday will also be highlighted with special events in support of the cure of breast cancer, as Utah State has partnered with Swing For Life to help raise awareness and funds in support of breast cancer research and services. Fans are encouraged to wear pink to Saturday's games.
Representatives from Swing for Life Inc. will be on site selling items with the proceeds going to breast cancer research. USU softball will also have silent auction items for fans to bid on each day. Donations and pledges will be collected throughout Friday's and Saturday's games. All funds raised will be donated to the Huntsman Cancer Foundation.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former Cougar...
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU filled...
- For Star Lotulelei, Super Bowl loss leaves...
- Red-hot Utah Jazz enter the danger zone
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to assist...
- Rudy Gobert made Suns pay for Foul-A-Frenchie...
- Rock On: Jabari's guide to Utah
- Copper Hills lives up to expectations with...
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 103
- Morning links: Grading the BYU, Utah... 84
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 67
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 28
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the... 24
- Defense, rebounding, big second half... 22
- Brad Rock: No BYU, but no regrets for... 22