State GOP convention to consider changes to caucus system
Laura Seitz, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Delegates to next month's state GOP convention will consider proposals intended to ward off a threatened initiative petition drive intended to dramatically change the system used to select candidates.
Proposals to raise the vote threshold at a party convention needed to avoid a primary election were filed with the state Republican Party before Thursday's deadline to be on the delegates' agenda.
Organizers of the initiative petition drive, which includes former Gov. Mike Leavitt, have said they would put their plans on hold if the threshold is increased from 60 percent to 70 percent.
One of the proposals filed Thursday would raise the threshold to 70 percent, while the other proposal would boost the threshold to two-thirds of the delegates voting at a nominating convention.
The petition organizers, who want to provide an alternative to the caucus/convention system for candidates to get on a primary ballot, have also said they want the party to increase access to caucus night, where the delegates are selected.
A resolution on the access issue recently approved by members of the GOP's central committee will also be considered at the state Republican convention, set for May 18 at the South Towne Expo Center in Sandy.
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic' national...
- After 8 years with no 'true increase' in...
- About 22,000 items stored as stolen property...
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 23
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 23
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 20
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 19
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17