State GOP convention to consider changes to caucus system
Laura Seitz, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Delegates to next month's state GOP convention will consider proposals intended to ward off a threatened initiative petition drive intended to dramatically change the system used to select candidates.
Proposals to raise the vote threshold at a party convention needed to avoid a primary election were filed with the state Republican Party before Thursday's deadline to be on the delegates' agenda.
Organizers of the initiative petition drive, which includes former Gov. Mike Leavitt, have said they would put their plans on hold if the threshold is increased from 60 percent to 70 percent.
One of the proposals filed Thursday would raise the threshold to 70 percent, while the other proposal would boost the threshold to two-thirds of the delegates voting at a nominating convention.
The petition organizers, who want to provide an alternative to the caucus/convention system for candidates to get on a primary ballot, have also said they want the party to increase access to caucus night, where the delegates are selected.
A resolution on the access issue recently approved by members of the GOP's central committee will also be considered at the state Republican convention, set for May 18 at the South Towne Expo Center in Sandy.
- Carbon County deputy saves father, son from...
- Dispatchers answer man's repeated 911 calls...
- Sugar House man intends to sue police, city...
- Fire rips through Orem structure under...
- Grading Utah schools, 2014: Top 20 highest...
- Woman killed in Sandy shooting
- 4 interactive ways to teach your kids about...
- Gov. Herbert nominates 3rd District Judge...
- Majority of Utahns oppose moving state... 51
- Prison relocation sites down to four as... 50
- Obama signature all that's left in... 39
- End gun violence, say faith leaders on... 33
- Sugar House man intends to sue police,... 33
- Popular Utah County water recreation... 21
- Audit: Utah still relies heavily on... 16
- Utahns favor Count My Vote and SB54,... 15