State GOP convention to consider changes to caucus system
Laura Seitz, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Delegates to next month's state GOP convention will consider proposals intended to ward off a threatened initiative petition drive intended to dramatically change the system used to select candidates.
Proposals to raise the vote threshold at a party convention needed to avoid a primary election were filed with the state Republican Party before Thursday's deadline to be on the delegates' agenda.
Organizers of the initiative petition drive, which includes former Gov. Mike Leavitt, have said they would put their plans on hold if the threshold is increased from 60 percent to 70 percent.
One of the proposals filed Thursday would raise the threshold to 70 percent, while the other proposal would boost the threshold to two-thirds of the delegates voting at a nominating convention.
The petition organizers, who want to provide an alternative to the caucus/convention system for candidates to get on a primary ballot, have also said they want the party to increase access to caucus night, where the delegates are selected.
A resolution on the access issue recently approved by members of the GOP's central committee will also be considered at the state Republican convention, set for May 18 at the South Towne Expo Center in Sandy.
- Searchers locate missing family of Olympian...
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley detective...
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via online...
- Fatal Draper house fire was intentionally...
- Mitt Romney talks pioneers, family tradition...
- Healing souls, healing a mountain
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows 'deep...
- Man seeks video of 1995 Oklahoma City...
- Federal land managers criticized over... 25
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 20
- Habitual offender arrested in alleged... 16
- Student attitudes changing on healthy... 14
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 12
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via... 12
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 12
- Satellites track drought-driven... 9