Bad coaches usually don’t have their teams playing that hard for the eighth playoff spot.
Corbin also showed he isn’t a pushover. Last spring he stared down an indignant Raja Bell, whose competitiveness clouded his reality. Bell never played this season. The coach also began going with players who were hot, regardless of minutes. He even sat Millsap the entire fourth quarter of a crucial game against Minnesota, when Favors was playing well.
That couldn’t have been a Facebook friend moment for Millsap.
Yet it was a sign to both the team and fans that Corbin intends to win, regardless of personnel. Earlier in his career he tended to coach by formula, sticking with known commodities at preset times.
Meanwhile, he kept his players working fairly well together. It’s not an easy task with a group largely comprised of pending free agents.
Although Corbin didn’t make the playoffs, he wasn’t like Collins or Scott, who combined for an overall 174-286 record in three seasons. Frank was 54-94 in two.
Corbin’s 3-year mark is 87-89, but discounting his 8-20 start — the year Deron Williams left and Jerry Sloan left mid-season — he is 79-69.
So even with the Jazz facing massive player turnover, changing coaches isn’t the answer. Corbin has three seasons behind him, but only one full 82-game schedule. One more season isn’t too much to allow. One more chance to be awesome.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: therockmonster; Facebook: therockmonster
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on continued...
- Damian Lillard stars in hilarious Adidas ad...
- Danny Berger and Jordan Stone to play at...
- CougarLinks: Former Cornhusker reportedly...
- BYU football: Cougars land commitment from...
- Ranking the best rookie seasons in Utah Jazz...
- Utah cyclist dies Sunday at the age of 23
- Bingham kicker commits to Utah after...
- BYU football: Cougars land commitment... 49
- Bingham kicker commits to Utah after... 46
- ESPN report: Jabari Parker rules out... 42
- CougarLinks: Former Cornhusker... 40
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 36
- Utah football: Utes are eager to pick... 33
- Utah Jazz: Jazz suffer weird loss... 24
- Should the Jazz intentionally lose to... 23