BYU rugby: Cougars set to defend their national title starting at UCLA
Provo, Utah — The defending National Collegiate Champion BYU Cougars start their 2013 postseason Saturday, April 20, when they travel to UCLA and take on the Bruins at 4 p.m. PST on the Bruins’ North Athletic Field.
The Cougars and Bruins meet as part of the Varsity Cup National Championship Western Super-Regional hosted by UCLA that also sees the Air Force Academy facing Central Washington University at 2 p.m. PST on the same day.
BYU and UCLA met earlier this year in January, where the Cougars won 84-14.
“That was an interesting match,” BYU head coach David Smyth said. “It was very early in the season for both teams and we were coming off a poor performance two days before against San Diego State. So I don’t know how representative that score will be when predicting how this weekend’s game is going to go.”
UCLA finished as the PAC runners-up to the University of California and beat top-flight teams including Utah, Arizona and Arizona State along the way.
The Cougars meanwhile haven’t lost to a collegiate team this season and are entering the 2013 postseason having not lost a collegiate match since 2011.
“UCLA is a good team and currently playing very well,” Smyth said. “They have definitely improved since we last met them and to meet them again in the Varsity Cup National Championship will be a great event. We’re looking forward to Saturday.”
All the Varsity Cup Western Super-Regional action will be broadcast live on the Varsity Cup’s YouTube Channel.
Tickets for both matches at UCLA can be purchased online or at the gate for $15 for general admission and $30 for VIP access.
Should the Cougars win their match against the Bruins, they will host the Varsity Cup semifinal on South Field on April 27 against the winner of the AFA vs. CWU match.
The rest of the Varsity Cup action takes place in Annapolis at the Naval Academy’s Navy-Marines Corp Memorial Stadium on April 27 in the Eastern Super-Regional.
The first match sees 26-time National Collegiate Champion the University of California taking on Notre Dame at 1:30 p.m. EST. ACRL champions Navy face Ivy League champions Dartmouth at 3:30 p.m. EST to close out the action on the East Coast.
The Varsity Cup National Championship will be played at BYU’s South Field on May 4 at 1 p.m. MST. Advance tickets for the championship match can be purchased online.
The BYU Rugby program is one of the school's most winning sports teams with just 19 losses in more than 20 years. BYU Rugby won the 2009 and 2012 Collegiate National Championship & has promoted 40 All-Americans. For more go to byurugby.com.
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coaches will take the win...
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Utah State infographic: Aggies' Keeton...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 65
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 58
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 54
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Dick Harmon: It's Taysom Hill time on... 28