ESPN debates talent against questions on Ziggy Ansah, age among them
Due to two-year LDS missions, male BYU athletes are often older than professional sports prospects hailing from other universities.
Scouts fear former Cougar Ezekiel Ansah may be even older.
In response to doubts as to whether Ansah is actually 23 years old, the defensive end's agency sent out copies of his passport from when he immigrated from Ghana in 2008.
Ansah's stock has skyrocketed since the end of the 2012 college football season, with the majority of draft experts pegging him to be picked among the first five selections of next week's NFL Draft.
Questions about age, however, could make NFL teams less eager to pick Ansah. The former BYU standout is widely regarded as a talented but raw project. Any added years to his age would translate to lost years for developing his game.
The report, however, states that even if Ansah were older than believed, it would not translate to a dramatically decreased opinion heading into the draft.
Ansah, 6-foot-5, 271 pounds, is a first-round prospect who could go in the top 10 of next week's NFL draft. Some scouts have stated privately that Ansah appears older than 23, but the same scouts have not indicated if it was a major stumbling block to his draft rating.
Sport Science: Ezekiel Ansah
NFL Draft Highlight Reel: Ezekiel Ansah
The NFL Draft will commence on Thursday, April 25.
Matt Petersen is the Sports Web Editor for DeseretNews.com. You can follow him on Twitter at @TheMattPetersen.
- So far, Dante Exum appears to be bigger and...
- Doug Robinson: When money speaks louder than...
- Dick Harmon: A more confident Robert Anae...
- Jazz fan favorite Jeremy Evans' era in Utah...
- Ranking the best college running backs...
- Utah Jazz: Brazilian point guard Raul Neto...
- The 1995 NBA draft redone: Was Greg Ostertag...
- Jazz notes: Trey Lyles still not with team...
- Morning links: Reviewing BYU's case to... 105
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for... 103
- Morning links: Damian Lillard, Paul... 32
- Brad Rock: Hatfield, Natson incidents... 28
- Doug Robinson: When money speaks louder... 28
- Utah football player Dominique Hatfield... 27
- BYU Cougars finish year with five... 24
- Dick Harmon: A more confident Robert... 19