VIDEO: Boston fans take over singing national anthem before Bruins game
Sports' collective response to tragedy is a well-regarded reaction, an expectation, even.
The sports community didn't disappoint in the wake of the shocking explosions that marred the Boston Marathon earlier this week. After the NBA's Celtics and NHL's Bruins postponed their respective games scheduled on Tuesday, the Bruins played the Buffalo Sabres on Wednesday night.
The match itself, however, became the secondary story after an inspiring pre-game moment. The fans in attendance joined in on the national anthem, nearly drowning out the assigned singer before he stopped singing — and started directing the fans in an en masse performance of "The Star-Spangled Banner."
The Bruins eventually lost 3-2 after a shootout, but both teams gathered at center ice and raised their sticks to salute the fans and the city in honor of those killed and hurt in Monday's attack.
Matt Petersen is the Sports Web Editor for DeseretNews.com. You can follow him on Twitter at @TheMattPetersen.
- Massive crowd engulfs Cleveland, champion...
- Chile beats Colombia 2-0 to return to Copa...
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Carmelo Anthony among 10 set for US Olympic...
- Jazz snubbed: Agents block players from...
- AP Source: Pacers acquire Thad Young from Nets
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 131
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 52
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 29
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 25
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 19
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 16
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 15
- Dick Harmon: While away from BYU, Tejan... 15