Blaze at house with false walls, ceilings makes tricky work for firefighters
MURRAY — Fire crews had trouble locating an electrical fire that was hidden by false walls and false ceilings in a Murray home Wednesday night.
Fire crews were called to 4746 Box Elder St. about 7:30 p.m. and found heavy smoke pouring from the eaves in what appeared to be an attic fire, Murray deputy fire marshal Russ Groves said.
Additional units were called and firefighters eventually located and extinguished the blaze, Groves said. The home sustained about $75,000 damage.
"This house has been added on to a few times," Groves said. "It made it tricky for firefighters to gain control of this fire as fast as we would have wanted to."
One of the home's three occupants heard crackling in the walls, Groves said. The man exited the home and saw smoke coming from some of the vents in the eaves.
No one was injured in the fire.
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Area museums help visitors ‘slow down,...
- The tiny town that set out to be Utah's...
- Jim Bennett: One 11-year-old's perspective on...
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 50
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 45
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 17
- Women underrepresented across Utah's... 9
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument... 9
- Audit of embattled S.L. County... 7