Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Fire crews contained a two-alarm blaze to an upper unit in an apartment complex Wednesday night, but water and smoke damage displaced tenants in four additional units.
Crews arrived about 7:10 p.m. to find flames and smoke coming from the windows and roof at Sky Harbor Apartments, 1876 W. North Temple, said Salt Lake fire spokesman Jason Asay.
Firefighters rushed into the burning unit but found no one inside, Asay said. The unit where the blaze originated had extensive fire, smoke and water damage, but no damage estimate was available Wednesday night.
There are eight units in the building. The two neighboring upstairs units suffered extensive smoke damage, while two downstairs units experienced extensive water damage. The occupants of all five affected units were given places to stay in other buildings in the apartment complex.
Investigators will determine the extent of the damage as well as its origin, Asay said.
A 50-year-old man who was inside the unit where the fire originated was treated at the scene by medical crews, who reported that he was covered in soot from unsuccessfully trying to put out the blaze. The man told firefighters he arrived home and saw smoke coming from the window, tried to extinguish the fire, and evacuated the building.
About 30 firefighters battled the blaze. The fire was contained in less than 10 minutes, preventing it from spreading.
"In apartment complexes like this one, there are a lot of buildings nearby. So with the wind blowing like it is tonight, that was a major concern," Asay said.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- How new technology is reshaping pacemakers
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah...
- Too many boaters not stopping for quagga...
- Jordan board calls for special bond election...
- Family of slain man who killed police K9...
- Crash launches engine 100 feet, but seat belt...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah... 64
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 30
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Prosecutor rails on DOJ handling of... 18
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 14