Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Fire crews contained a two-alarm blaze to an upper unit in an apartment complex Wednesday night, but water and smoke damage displaced tenants in four additional units.
Crews arrived about 7:10 p.m. to find flames and smoke coming from the windows and roof at Sky Harbor Apartments, 1876 W. North Temple, said Salt Lake fire spokesman Jason Asay.
Firefighters rushed into the burning unit but found no one inside, Asay said. The unit where the blaze originated had extensive fire, smoke and water damage, but no damage estimate was available Wednesday night.
There are eight units in the building. The two neighboring upstairs units suffered extensive smoke damage, while two downstairs units experienced extensive water damage. The occupants of all five affected units were given places to stay in other buildings in the apartment complex.
Investigators will determine the extent of the damage as well as its origin, Asay said.
A 50-year-old man who was inside the unit where the fire originated was treated at the scene by medical crews, who reported that he was covered in soot from unsuccessfully trying to put out the blaze. The man told firefighters he arrived home and saw smoke coming from the window, tried to extinguish the fire, and evacuated the building.
About 30 firefighters battled the blaze. The fire was contained in less than 10 minutes, preventing it from spreading.
"In apartment complexes like this one, there are a lot of buildings nearby. So with the wind blowing like it is tonight, that was a major concern," Asay said.
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention...
- Fatal Draper house fire was intentionally...
- Fired West Valley officer's defense team goes...
- Searchers locate missing family of Olympian...
- Jordan School District opens doors on its...
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes into...
- Trial begins for Salt Lake attorney seeking...
- Federal land managers criticized over... 26
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 25
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 20
- Habitual offender arrested in alleged... 17
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 14
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 13
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 12
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via... 12