Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Fire crews contained a two-alarm blaze to an upper unit in an apartment complex Wednesday night, but water and smoke damage displaced tenants in four additional units.
Crews arrived about 7:10 p.m. to find flames and smoke coming from the windows and roof at Sky Harbor Apartments, 1876 W. North Temple, said Salt Lake fire spokesman Jason Asay.
Firefighters rushed into the burning unit but found no one inside, Asay said. The unit where the blaze originated had extensive fire, smoke and water damage, but no damage estimate was available Wednesday night.
There are eight units in the building. The two neighboring upstairs units suffered extensive smoke damage, while two downstairs units experienced extensive water damage. The occupants of all five affected units were given places to stay in other buildings in the apartment complex.
Investigators will determine the extent of the damage as well as its origin, Asay said.
A 50-year-old man who was inside the unit where the fire originated was treated at the scene by medical crews, who reported that he was covered in soot from unsuccessfully trying to put out the blaze. The man told firefighters he arrived home and saw smoke coming from the window, tried to extinguish the fire, and evacuated the building.
About 30 firefighters battled the blaze. The fire was contained in less than 10 minutes, preventing it from spreading.
"In apartment complexes like this one, there are a lot of buildings nearby. So with the wind blowing like it is tonight, that was a major concern," Asay said.
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- What consumers need to know about chip...
- Imagine Dragons treated like home team at...
- Body found in suitcase near Saltair identified
- Utah natives receive rave reviews, make 'So...
- Sandy mailman's plea for books gets worldwide...
- Wright Words: Younger sister is living...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 296
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 132
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 103
- Mike Lee plotting tricky maneuver to... 88
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 74
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 65
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 45
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 35