BYU golf: Blair named WCC Co-Player of the Year, men's and women's golf finish in third at WCC Golf Championships
The Cougars shot a final round 294 (+6) team score and finished the 54-hole tournament at 16-over-par to tie with Gonzaga (+16) and San Diego (+16). St. Mary’s won the conference title at 8-over par, edging out second place San Francisco (+10) by two strokes.
“I thought we could come up here and win this golf tournament and we didn’t get the job done,” BYU head coach Bruce Brockbank said. “We’re fortunate to have finished third.”
Joe Parkinson had another solid round, making four birdies and nine pars to shoot a 1-over 73. Despite a tough stretch midway through the round where Parkinson dropped three straight bogeys, he battled back making birdie on three of his final six holes. The freshman finished the tournament tied for fourth place at even par on the individual leaderboard, the best finish of his career.
“Joe Parkinson played really well,” Brockbank said. “It was nice for him to throw the team on his back and have such a good tournament. That’s why we had a chance to win. To have a guy that hasn’t played in a conference championship, to step up and play like he did was a bright spot.”
Coming off Tuesday's 73, senior Zac Blair replicated his score during the third round finishing with a 1-over 73. Blair shot a three round total 217 (+1) to finish the tournament tied for seventh place. Following the conclusion of the tournament, Blair was recognized as the West Coast Conference Co-Player of the Year with Ben Geyer of Saint Mary’s, in addition to being named to the 2013 All-West Coast Conference Men's Golf Team.
Junior Jordan Hammer had his best round of the tournament carding a final round 72 (E). Hammer made four birdies and 10 pars during the final 18 holes and finished the tournament in 21st place at 7-over-par.
Devon Purser and Justin Keiley finished with rounds of 76 (+4) and 77 (+5), respectively during Wednesday's third round. Both golfers added three birdies on the day. Purser finished the conference tournament tied for 28th place, while Keiley placed 36th. Keiley joined Blair, being named to the 2013 All-West Coast Conference Men's Golf Team.
The Cougars next return to action April 26-27 as they play host to the PING Cougar Classic. Watch the Cougars live at Riverside Country Club or follow live stats at golfstat.com.
T4 Joe Parkinson 70, 73, 73, E
T7 Zac Blair 71, 73, 73, +1
21 Jordan Hammer 76, 75, 72, +7
T28 Devon Purser 74, 76, 76, +10
36 Justin Keiley 80, 74, 77, +15
1 St. Mary's (CA), +8
2 San Francisco, +10
T3 Brigham Young, +16
T3 San Diego, +16
T3 Gonzaga, +16
6 Pepperdine, +17
7 Loyola Marymount, +28
8 Santa Clara, +40
2013 WCC All-Conference Awards
Men's Golf Co-Player of the Year
Zac Blair, Sr., BYU; Ben Geyer, Sr., Saint Mary's
Men's Golf Freshman of the Year
Sean Walsh, Gonzaga
- BYU players work out at Pro Day in hopes of...
- BYU football hosts 'Friday Night Lights'...
- Utah football: Booker's return lifts offense,...
- Former longtime Utah Jazz broadcaster Hot Rod...
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date with...
- Runnin' Utes take on Duke in Texas-sized venue
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL president...
- Brad Rock: Utes have Duked it out with big...
- Utes to face Duke in the Sweet 16... 207
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill is making a... 31
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 29
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 27
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- It's Coach K vs. Coach K as Utah... 22
- Ogden chooses to play as an independent... 21