LOGAN — Last year Utah State's basketball season was derailed by injuries and transfers, leaving the Aggies with significant depth and talent issues.
The hope for head coach Stew Morrill is that his 2013 signing class will not only resolve that problem for next season, but keep the Aggies near the top of the heap as they move on to the tough Mountain West Conference.
With three scholarships previously devoted to the frontcourt, the Aggie coaching staff focused on the guardline in the spring. USU will round out its recruiting class in the backcourt, with two letters of intent expected by the end of the week.
At shooting guard the Aggies will bring in JoJo McGlaston, a 6-4 lefty, from Dublin, Calif. McGlaston is an explosive athlete with a good outside shot that could immediately compete for playing time and should be the heir apparent to Spencer Butterfield at shooting guard.
Viko Noma’aea became the final piece of the puzzle this week when he verbally committed to be an Aggie. The 6-0 point guard played high school hoops at Sierra Vista in Las Vegas and has spent the last two years away from the game on an LDS mission. Noma’aea has scoring punch and will give the Aggies depth behind Marcel Davis and TeNale Roland at the point.
Utah State announced three signings back in November: Jalen Moore, Carson Shanks and Kyle Davis.
Moore, a 6-7 wing, led Sky View High School to the 4A title and will bring some much-needed size and raw athleticism to the small forward position. Shanks is 7-0 big man from Prior Lake, Minn., that was ranked as a top-100 center by ESPN.com prior to his senior season. Davis is a power forward that is transferring from Southern Utah after finishing an LDS Church mission. As a freshman in Cedar City the 6-7 forward averaged 8.5 points and 5.3 rebounds a game.
According to Jeff Goodman of CBSSports.com the Aggies roster next season will not be without some losses. Goodman has listed guard Marvin Jean and center Matt Lopez as players transferring out of the program.
Kraig Williams is a 2010 Utah State University graduate and regular Deseret News sports blogger. He can be followed on Twitter @DesNewsKraig.
- The 16 most interesting college lists...
- Red and blue recruits: Inside Britain Covey's...
- Faith and family are driving forces for LDS...
- 2015 BYU Commits
- Dick Harmon: College football recruiters are...
- 2015 Utah Football Commits
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit after ACC...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 79
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 62
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 40
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35