LOGAN — Last year Utah State's basketball season was derailed by injuries and transfers, leaving the Aggies with significant depth and talent issues.
The hope for head coach Stew Morrill is that his 2013 signing class will not only resolve that problem for next season, but keep the Aggies near the top of the heap as they move on to the tough Mountain West Conference.
With three scholarships previously devoted to the frontcourt, the Aggie coaching staff focused on the guardline in the spring. USU will round out its recruiting class in the backcourt, with two letters of intent expected by the end of the week.
At shooting guard the Aggies will bring in JoJo McGlaston, a 6-4 lefty, from Dublin, Calif. McGlaston is an explosive athlete with a good outside shot that could immediately compete for playing time and should be the heir apparent to Spencer Butterfield at shooting guard.
Viko Noma’aea became the final piece of the puzzle this week when he verbally committed to be an Aggie. The 6-0 point guard played high school hoops at Sierra Vista in Las Vegas and has spent the last two years away from the game on an LDS mission. Noma’aea has scoring punch and will give the Aggies depth behind Marcel Davis and TeNale Roland at the point.
Utah State announced three signings back in November: Jalen Moore, Carson Shanks and Kyle Davis.
Moore, a 6-7 wing, led Sky View High School to the 4A title and will bring some much-needed size and raw athleticism to the small forward position. Shanks is 7-0 big man from Prior Lake, Minn., that was ranked as a top-100 center by ESPN.com prior to his senior season. Davis is a power forward that is transferring from Southern Utah after finishing an LDS Church mission. As a freshman in Cedar City the 6-7 forward averaged 8.5 points and 5.3 rebounds a game.
According to Jeff Goodman of CBSSports.com the Aggies roster next season will not be without some losses. Goodman has listed guard Marvin Jean and center Matt Lopez as players transferring out of the program.
Kraig Williams is a 2010 Utah State University graduate and regular Deseret News sports blogger. He can be followed on Twitter @DesNewsKraig.
- 2015 Heisman Trophy tracker, preseason...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Aug. 28
- The Utah football 100: Ranking the best...
- BYU football: With opener one week away,...
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU best-case,...
- BYU basketball: What we learned from 4 games...
- Video: BYU commit Jaren Hall lifts Maple...
- Dick Harmon: BYU workhorse running back Nate...
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 78
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 61
- BYU football: Lone Peak's Jackson... 31
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 30
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 27
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU... 25
- Doug Robinson: No days off on Utes'... 24