The governor, a supporter of the caucus and convention system, called on delegates to the state convention to approve the higher threshold. Herbert said he voted for the change at the central committee meeting.
"If you want to ensure to keep the delegate caucus convention system, raise the bar to 70 percent," the governor said, crediting Wright with trying to increase involvement in the current system. "Otherwise, we've got a fight on our hands."
Wright, who heads a multistate luxury real estate firm, said he has always viewed himself as "a bridge builder. I'm a consensus builder. I like to bring people together. Usually, people have more in common than they are different."
He said the problem with politics is that too many people focus only on their differences and are unable to reach out to those on another side of an issue.
"Nothing is getting done," Wright said. He said he was proud of the party's efforts to resolve the concerns raised by the group proposing the initiative, whatever happens at the state convention.
"Win, lose or draw, so to speak at the convention, it's a victory," Wright said.
Three Republicans have filed with the party to take Wright's spot as chairman at the convention, former Salt Lake County GOP Chairman James Evans, Utah Republican Hispanic Chairman Marco Diaz, and Wasatch County GOP Chairman Aaron Gabrielson.
Wright, who said he doesn't plan on making an endorsement in the GOP chairmanship race, did not anticipate anyone else filing for the party's top spot before Thursday's deadline.
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say...
- Deputy's suicide prompted Tooele school...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on state...
- Families face uncertainty, unite in prayer as...
- Cottonwood Heights mayor, residents unhappy...
- Roof, tower for Provo City Center Temple add...
- Utah too dependent on federal dollars, state...
- Gov. Gary Herbert unveils $13.3 billion budget
- Should parents pay extra for... 46
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 27
- Utah A.G. John Swallow: 'No way to... 25
- Candidates seeking to replace Swallow... 19
- 'Little Bulldog' will take a break; the... 18
- Utah judge could be first to rule on... 16
- In our opinion: Pioneer Park progress... 15
- About Utah: His business is fun, games... 15