Outgoing GOP chairman eyes high-profile political future
The governor, a supporter of the caucus and convention system, called on delegates to the state convention to approve the higher threshold. Herbert said he voted for the change at the central committee meeting.
"If you want to ensure to keep the delegate caucus convention system, raise the bar to 70 percent," the governor said, crediting Wright with trying to increase involvement in the current system. "Otherwise, we've got a fight on our hands."
Wright, who heads a multistate luxury real estate firm, said he has always viewed himself as "a bridge builder. I'm a consensus builder. I like to bring people together. Usually, people have more in common than they are different."
He said the problem with politics is that too many people focus only on their differences and are unable to reach out to those on another side of an issue.
"Nothing is getting done," Wright said. He said he was proud of the party's efforts to resolve the concerns raised by the group proposing the initiative, whatever happens at the state convention.
"Win, lose or draw, so to speak at the convention, it's a victory," Wright said.
Three Republicans have filed with the party to take Wright's spot as chairman at the convention, former Salt Lake County GOP Chairman James Evans, Utah Republican Hispanic Chairman Marco Diaz, and Wasatch County GOP Chairman Aaron Gabrielson.
Wright, who said he doesn't plan on making an endorsement in the GOP chairmanship race, did not anticipate anyone else filing for the party's top spot before Thursday's deadline.
- Son of murdered woman felt peace in '91, now...
- Missionary, police testify against man...
- Police reviewing possible nightclub photos of...
- Man charged with killing baby in Ogden told...
- Attorney general deciding whether to appeal...
- Gay rights activists to fight charges for...
- Parents say daughter didn't understand her...
- Apparent lightning strike hits Duchesne...
- New poll shows many Utahns oppose and... 49
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay... 45
- Attorney general deciding whether to... 39
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 36
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death... 35
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 34
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA... 30
- Woman accused of leaving young son... 22