Outgoing GOP chairman eyes high-profile political future
The governor, a supporter of the caucus and convention system, called on delegates to the state convention to approve the higher threshold. Herbert said he voted for the change at the central committee meeting.
"If you want to ensure to keep the delegate caucus convention system, raise the bar to 70 percent," the governor said, crediting Wright with trying to increase involvement in the current system. "Otherwise, we've got a fight on our hands."
Wright, who heads a multistate luxury real estate firm, said he has always viewed himself as "a bridge builder. I'm a consensus builder. I like to bring people together. Usually, people have more in common than they are different."
He said the problem with politics is that too many people focus only on their differences and are unable to reach out to those on another side of an issue.
"Nothing is getting done," Wright said. He said he was proud of the party's efforts to resolve the concerns raised by the group proposing the initiative, whatever happens at the state convention.
"Win, lose or draw, so to speak at the convention, it's a victory," Wright said.
Three Republicans have filed with the party to take Wright's spot as chairman at the convention, former Salt Lake County GOP Chairman James Evans, Utah Republican Hispanic Chairman Marco Diaz, and Wasatch County GOP Chairman Aaron Gabrielson.
Wright, who said he doesn't plan on making an endorsement in the GOP chairmanship race, did not anticipate anyone else filing for the party's top spot before Thursday's deadline.
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking...
- Police stumped about what caused Springville...
- Police probing what caused deaths of...
- Granite School District reaches agreement...
- About Utah: Baltic Avenue just bought Boardwalk!
- Body of overdue hiker found in Zion National...
- Tourists rescued after road collapses,...
- Heavy rains flood homes, cemetery in Herriman
- Students rally for beard 'revolution'... 77
- Utah gay marriage case first in line at... 57
- Mia Love declines to make joint... 50
- Join the discussion: How libertarian is... 36
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 34
- Coast-to-coast horseback ride against... 30
- 2 Utah companies respond to FDA warning... 18
- Utah to appeal polygamy ruling in... 13