USU track: Litzsinger, Page collect WAC Track Athlete of the Week honors
Utah State women's track and field senior Alex Litzsinger and men's track and field redshirt-freshman Briton Page garnered the Western Athletic Conference Women's and Men's Outdoor Track Athlete of the Week honors for the week of April 8-14, it was announced by the league office Wednesday.
This is the second time this season that Litzsinger and Page were honored on the same week, as they both collected the accolade on Jan. 23. This is Litzinger's second career WAC Athlete of the Week honor while it is the third for Page, as he also earned the honor on April 3.
Litzsinger, a senior from Pocatello, Idaho (Highland HS), clocked the second-fastest time in the WAC this season for the 5,000m (17:12.89) on her way to place second in the event at the Sacramento State hosted Mondo Mid-Major Challenge this past weekend. Litzsinger's time, which ranks her 81st in the West this season, helped lead the USU women to a fourth-place finish in the team standings.
Page, a redshirt-freshman from Centerville, Utah (Viewmont H.S.), ran to a second-place finish in the 800m at the Mondo Mid-Major Challenge hosted by Sacramento State. His time of 1:49.44 is the fastest in the WAC standings this season. Page’s time is also tied for 10th in the West and tied for 24th in the nation, as well as being the fourth-fastest time in school history.
Action continues for Utah State track and field this weekend as it sends some athletes to the Mt. SAC Relays and Distance Carnival in Walnut, Calif., on Thursday and Friday, April 18-19. USU will also host the annual Mark Faldmo Invitational at Ralph Maughan Track Stadium on Friday and Saturday, April 19-20.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 123
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 39
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 34
- Morning links: Utah running back's goal... 28
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 25
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 23
- Badger looking to become part of BYU's... 22