Love, Matheson raising money for possible 4th District rematch
Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News
The seven-term Democratic congressman, too, has started to build his campaign war chest in anticipation of a 2014 showdown with Love, who has stayed visible with public appearances around the country.
Love, the mayor of Saratoga Springs, raised $44,300 in the first three months of this year, giving her about $147,000 overall, according to her Federal Election Commission report.
"To have already received nearly $150,000 in support this early in the election cycle is very heartening," she said.
“While I have not yet announced a final decision regarding the 2014 race, I am very pleased with the number of groups and individuals who have indicated support through their contributions for my potential congressional run in 2014."
FEC rules require a potential candidate to create a campaign committee to collect contributions even though the person has not decided to run.
Matheson beat Love by 768 votes last November in a testy and expensive race in Utah's new 4th District. The candidates and political action committees supporting or opposing them spent more than $10 million on that election.
Matheson has raised $288,000 in the first three months of this year, all but about $30,000 coming from PACs, according to his FEC report. He has $241,000 on hand after first quarter expenses.
“I am gratified by the financial support I have received," Matheson said. "While fundraising is important to any campaign, what is most important is working to serve the constituents of the 4th Congressional District."
The National Republican Congressional Committee identified Matheson as one of seven "vulnerable" Democrats it intends to go after in 2014.
Twitter: @dennisromboy, @DNewsPolitics
- Biskupski calls for resignations of nearly...
- Ex-EFY counselor sent to prison for sex with...
- Man who killed fiancee ordered to serve 1...
- Ogden mother charged in Weber County egging...
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- Men and women: Understanding the wage gap is...
- UHP welcomes back Kotter, a trooper shot 4...
- GOP gubernatorial candidate Jonathan Johnson...
- Biskupski calls for resignations of... 46
- Men and women: Understanding the wage... 34
- Olene Walker, "one of Utah's finest... 17
- Man steals woman's boarding pass,... 13
- The new Thanksgiving tradition: A quick... 11
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving... 11
- Utah liquor consumption is up, but... 8
- Recruiting crisis? UHP, other agencies... 7