Love, Matheson raising money for possible 4th District rematch
Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News
The seven-term Democratic congressman, too, has started to build his campaign war chest in anticipation of a 2014 showdown with Love, who has stayed visible with public appearances around the country.
Love, the mayor of Saratoga Springs, raised $44,300 in the first three months of this year, giving her about $147,000 overall, according to her Federal Election Commission report.
"To have already received nearly $150,000 in support this early in the election cycle is very heartening," she said.
“While I have not yet announced a final decision regarding the 2014 race, I am very pleased with the number of groups and individuals who have indicated support through their contributions for my potential congressional run in 2014."
FEC rules require a potential candidate to create a campaign committee to collect contributions even though the person has not decided to run.
Matheson beat Love by 768 votes last November in a testy and expensive race in Utah's new 4th District. The candidates and political action committees supporting or opposing them spent more than $10 million on that election.
Matheson has raised $288,000 in the first three months of this year, all but about $30,000 coming from PACs, according to his FEC report. He has $241,000 on hand after first quarter expenses.
“I am gratified by the financial support I have received," Matheson said. "While fundraising is important to any campaign, what is most important is working to serve the constituents of the 4th Congressional District."
The National Republican Congressional Committee identified Matheson as one of seven "vulnerable" Democrats it intends to go after in 2014.
Twitter: @dennisromboy, @DNewsPolitics
- Parents say daughter didn't understand her...
- Utah mother who left 11-month-old in hot car...
- Newborn found in trash can brings call for help
- Attorney general deciding whether to appeal...
- Trial ordered for Cameo Crispi, accused of...
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death of 2...
- Donations to North Salt Lake family displaced...
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA...
- Back (home) to school: Thousands of... 53
- New poll shows many Utahns oppose and... 49
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay... 39
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death... 35
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 34
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate... 30
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA... 26
- Woman accused of leaving young son... 21