Ravell Call, Ravell Call, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY – The Utah Transit Authority has seen a ridership boom on its PC-SLC Connect line.
In the past four months, the bus service connecting Salt Lake City and Park City has seen an increase of about 1,000 trips per month.
UTA spokesman Remi Barron said there are several reasons for the increase in riders, such as tweaking bus routes to better serve the community and reducing fares from $5.50 to $4.25 per trip.
”By lowering the fare, we allowed other people to ride the bus that might not have before,” Barron said.
A systemwide rate increase went into effect April 1, making the current fare $4.50.
UTA also connected the line to the 3900 S. Wasatch Blvd. park-and-ride to make it easier and more convenient for riders, and started allowing transfers from that route to other buses and trains in the system, Barron said.
Created jointly by Park City, Summit County and UTA, the PC-SLC Connect line started service in October 2011. Previously, the Park City bus route was a separate entity, making transfers more difficult and requiring and additional fare.
“We’ve made sure now that our operators are giving out transfers to anyone who purchases a ticket there,” Barron said, “and that makes it easier for people to get to say Ogden from Park City on one fare.”
The Park City schedule also changed times to fit with ski resort and standard workday hours.
The increase in ridership made up for the lower fare, Barron said.
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Area museums help visitors ‘slow down,...
- The tiny town that set out to be Utah's...
- Jim Bennett: One 11-year-old's perspective on...
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 50
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 44
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 15
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 15
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument... 9
- Women underrepresented across Utah's... 8
- Prosecutors say Jeremy Johnson should... 7