Ravell Call, Ravell Call, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY – The Utah Transit Authority has seen a ridership boom on its PC-SLC Connect line.
In the past four months, the bus service connecting Salt Lake City and Park City has seen an increase of about 1,000 trips per month.
UTA spokesman Remi Barron said there are several reasons for the increase in riders, such as tweaking bus routes to better serve the community and reducing fares from $5.50 to $4.25 per trip.
”By lowering the fare, we allowed other people to ride the bus that might not have before,” Barron said.
A systemwide rate increase went into effect April 1, making the current fare $4.50.
UTA also connected the line to the 3900 S. Wasatch Blvd. park-and-ride to make it easier and more convenient for riders, and started allowing transfers from that route to other buses and trains in the system, Barron said.
Created jointly by Park City, Summit County and UTA, the PC-SLC Connect line started service in October 2011. Previously, the Park City bus route was a separate entity, making transfers more difficult and requiring and additional fare.
“We’ve made sure now that our operators are giving out transfers to anyone who purchases a ticket there,” Barron said, “and that makes it easier for people to get to say Ogden from Park City on one fare.”
The Park City schedule also changed times to fit with ski resort and standard workday hours.
The increase in ridership made up for the lower fare, Barron said.
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- Tanker crash sends oil into Provo River as...
- Olene Walker, "one of Utah's finest public...
- Icy roads blamed for Cedar City car crash...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving preparing...
- Students hope to invent windows of the future
- Local cowboys: A new foursome for the...
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he... 36
- Olene Walker, "one of Utah's finest... 15
- Man steals woman's boarding pass,... 13
- The new Thanksgiving tradition: A quick... 11
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving... 10
- Utah liquor consumption is up, but... 8
- Men and women: Understanding the wage... 7
- Recruiting crisis? UHP, other agencies... 6