UVU track: Wolverine teams participate in Utah, California for meets
OREM, Utah - In their second to last competition weekend before the Great West Conference tournament in early May, the Utah Valley University men's and women's track teams will break up and participate in four meets - three in California and one in Utah.
"This week everyone will be competing just at different locations," UVU track and field coach Scott Houle said.
A portion of the team will compete at the 55th Annual Mt. Sac Relays, Beach Track and Field Invitational (hosted by Long Beach State), the Bryan Clay Invitational (hosted by Azusa Pacific) and the Mark Faldmo Invitational (hosted by Utah State University).
"We have great weather and great competition," Houle said. "We need to start hitting some marks to get ourselves set up for conference."
The main portion of the Mt. Sac Relays begin Thursday, while the remaining three will begin Friday and run through Saturday.
The multis at Azusa, in which UVU's Michael McPherson is competing, got underway Wednesday.
The Wolverines enter the meets after recording five top 5 finishes at the Utah Spring Classic in Salt Lake City last Friday and five top 5 finishes at the Wildcat Outdoor Invitational in Ogden, Utah.
Utah Valley University sprinter Nicholas Taylor finished first and second in the 200 meters and 100 meters, respectively, at the Utah Spring Classic Friday at the McCarthey Family Track, while teammates Mark Jones placed first in the javelin with a mark of 177 feet, five inches at the Wildcat Outdoor Invitational Saturday at Stewart Stadium in Ogden, Utah, and Maryn Pincock, who won the women's shot put (46-7.25) and the women's discus (161-04) at the Idaho Cup last week, placed second in the discus with a throw of 160-05.
Following the meets this weekend, the Wolverines will compete at BYU on April 26-27 before heading to Houston for the GWC Championships on May 3-5.
Jay Hinton is a sports information assistant at Utah Valley University.
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- Penn State sweeps BYU for a record seventh...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Dick Harmon: Execution, not words, will crown...
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Utah basketball team makes it a doubly-good...
- BYU coach Shawn Olmstead provided calming...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 62
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 48
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Ready or not, Vegas: Here come the Utes 24