BYU tennis: No. 39 BYU men's tennis plays its last two matches on the road
PROVO, Utah – With the WCC regular season title on the line, the No. 39 BYU men’s tennis team plays No. 8 Pepperdine on Friday and Loyola Marymount on Saturday on the road.
The Cougars face the Waves at 3 p.m. PDT on Friday in Malibu, Calif., and then play the Lions at noon PDT on Saturday in Los Angeles.
BYU (19-4, 6-0 West Coast Conference) and Pepperdine are undefeated in conference play. If the Cougars win both matches this weekend, they would clinch the conference title. A win over Pepperdine and a loss to Loyola Marymount would give BYU and Pepperdine a share of the title.
The Cougars enter this weekend on an eight-match win streak. Four of those wins have come against nationally ranked teams.
In singles play, No. 38 Patrick Kawka shares a team-high 18 wins with his doubles partner Francis Sargeant. Kawka has won four consecutive matches and eight of his last nine. Sargeant similarly has won seven of his last eight.
Another set of doubles partners, Keaton Cullimore and John Pearce, are also producing in singles play. Cullimore is currently riding an 11-match win streak and is the winner of 14 of his last 15 matches. Pearce has claimed six of his last seven matches, including his last three consecutive matchups.
The duo of Kawka and Sargeant are ranked No. 84 nationally and boast a 14-5 record on the season. At the No. 3 doubles position, Cullimore and Pearce have earned a 14-7 mark this year.
Pepperdine (21-5, 7-0 WCC) narrowly lost to No. 2 UCLA last week, 4-3. The Waves feature four nationally ranked players, including No. 9 Sebastian Fanselow.
Loyola Marymount (4-17, 2-5 WCC) is 2-5 at home this year, including a 5-2 victory over Saint Mary’s on April 13.
Live stats for Friday’s match can be followed on Pepperdine’s website.
The WCC Tournament begins next week in San Diego.
Aaron Sorenson is the tennis sports information director at BYU.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- The Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 8: A Utah...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26