BYU tennis: No. 39 BYU men's tennis plays its last two matches on the road
PROVO, Utah – With the WCC regular season title on the line, the No. 39 BYU men’s tennis team plays No. 8 Pepperdine on Friday and Loyola Marymount on Saturday on the road.
The Cougars face the Waves at 3 p.m. PDT on Friday in Malibu, Calif., and then play the Lions at noon PDT on Saturday in Los Angeles.
BYU (19-4, 6-0 West Coast Conference) and Pepperdine are undefeated in conference play. If the Cougars win both matches this weekend, they would clinch the conference title. A win over Pepperdine and a loss to Loyola Marymount would give BYU and Pepperdine a share of the title.
The Cougars enter this weekend on an eight-match win streak. Four of those wins have come against nationally ranked teams.
In singles play, No. 38 Patrick Kawka shares a team-high 18 wins with his doubles partner Francis Sargeant. Kawka has won four consecutive matches and eight of his last nine. Sargeant similarly has won seven of his last eight.
Another set of doubles partners, Keaton Cullimore and John Pearce, are also producing in singles play. Cullimore is currently riding an 11-match win streak and is the winner of 14 of his last 15 matches. Pearce has claimed six of his last seven matches, including his last three consecutive matchups.
The duo of Kawka and Sargeant are ranked No. 84 nationally and boast a 14-5 record on the season. At the No. 3 doubles position, Cullimore and Pearce have earned a 14-7 mark this year.
Pepperdine (21-5, 7-0 WCC) narrowly lost to No. 2 UCLA last week, 4-3. The Waves feature four nationally ranked players, including No. 9 Sebastian Fanselow.
Loyola Marymount (4-17, 2-5 WCC) is 2-5 at home this year, including a 5-2 victory over Saint Mary’s on April 13.
Live stats for Friday’s match can be followed on Pepperdine’s website.
The WCC Tournament begins next week in San Diego.
Aaron Sorenson is the tennis sports information director at BYU.
- Will BYU cornerback Jordan Johnson play vs....
- Ranking the best season by a quarterback in...
- Enemy camp: What UConn media thinks about...
- Dick Harmon: It's Taysom Hill time on the...
- Felt's Facts Week 2: Utah high school...
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks off...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- College football predictions: How will... 137
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 62
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 48
- Utah football: Utes eye successful start 42
- Enemy camp: What UConn media thinks... 41
- True freshman Brad Kaaya beats out... 36