BYU tennis: Cougars prepare for last weekend of regular season
PROVO, Utah — Entering the last week of regular season play, the BYU women’s tennis team hosts No. 71 Pepperdine on Friday and Loyola Marymount on Saturday at the outdoor tennis courts.
The Cougars (9-9, 2-4 West Coast Conference) have won two consecutive matches, including a win over No. 70 Washington State on April 8.
Senior Aubrey Paul leads the team with 14 singles wins and has won eight of her last nine matches. Freshman Nicolette Tran put together a successful freshman campaign, going into this weekend with a 12-6 record.
In doubles play, sophomore Morgan Anderson and freshman Mackenna Maddox own a team-high 12-4 mark on the season while playing exclusively at the No. 2 position.
Pepperdine (8-11, 5-1 WCC) plays on the road against Loyola Marymount on April 17, before coming to BYU on Friday. If the Waves win both matches, they would clinch a share of the WCC regular season title.
LMU (10-9, 2-4 WCC) has won three of its last five matches but most recently fell to conference opponents Saint Mary’s and San Diego.
Both matches start at noon. Admission is free. The matches will be moved indoors in case of bad weather.
Aaron Sorenson is the tennis sports information director at BYU.
- NBC to unveil new theme song for 'Sunday...
- From Ben Simmons down, international players...
- Facing Argentina, Messi in Copa semis not...
- WNBA undefeated: Lynx host Sparks for 20th...
- Cleveland set to hold parade for NBA champion...
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 63
- Utah football to host Weber State in 2021 41
- Kyle Whittingham says Utah Utes... 37
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- Jakob Poeltl to the Utah Jazz? It's... 25
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 24
- Morning links: Warriors feel Andrew... 22