USU football: Chuckie Keeton named 2012 Collegiate Male Athlete of the Year by Utah Governor’s State of Sport Awards
Utah State junior quarterback Chuckie Keeton was named the 2012 Collegiate Male Athlete of the Year at the second annual Utah Governor’s State of Sport Awards held Tuesday at the Zions Bank Basketball Center in Salt Lake City.
Keeton, who was one of six nominees for the award, was selected over former Utah football players Reggie Dunn and Star Lotulelei, former Utah Valley baseball player Goose Kallunki, former Southern Utah track athlete Cameron Levins, and former Weber State basketball player and current Portland Trailblazer rookie Damian Lillard.
Keeton, a 6-foot-2, 200 pound quarterback from Houston, Texas (Cypress Creek HS), earned first-team all-Western Athletic Conference honors as a sophomore after ranking 17th nationally in total offense (307.1 ypg), 18th in passing efficiency (154.7) and 29th in passing (259.5 ypg).
During the 2012 season, Keeton set single-season school records for touchdown passes (27), passing yards (3,373), completions (275) and completion percentage (.676), while setting the single-game record for rushing yards by a quarterback with 121 yards at Louisiana Tech.
Along with earning first-team all-league honors as a sophomore, Keeton was also named the WAC’s Offensive Player of the Week four times during the season as he had at least two touchdown passes in 10 games and rushed for a touchdown in eight games, while throwing for at least 300 yards three times in the last five games of the season and five times overall.
Keeton concluded his sophomore season completing 275-of-407 passes for 3,373 yards with 27 touchdowns and nine interceptions. He also ran the ball 129 times for 619 yards (47.6 ypg) with eight touchdowns.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Carmelo Anthony among 10 set for US Olympic...
- Jazz snubbed: Agents block players from...
- AP Source: Pacers acquire Thad Young from Nets
- Rio Olympic organizers unveil village where...
- Agent: LeBron James to skip Rio Olympics
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 137
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 57
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 31
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 30
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 19
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 17
- Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during... 16
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 15