Cohabitating couples now more likely to buy a home together before marriage, Time magazine says
Alex Brandon, AP
Unmarried couples buying homes together is a rising trend, according to an article by Time magazine.
In 2010, 48 percent of American ages 15 to 44 said they had lived with a partner without being married. That 14 percentage-point jump from the 34 percent in 1995 has affected how couples buy homes as well.
Young couples from 18 to 34 were more likely to buy a home with a partner without being married than those 45 and older, according to a survey from Coldwell Banker.
Only 14 percent of the older, married couples bought homes together before they were married. In the younger age group, 24 percent purchased their homes before being married.
For some couples, buying a home together is the “new engagement ring,” Robi Ludwig, a psychotherapist and Coldwell Banker’s lifestyle correspondent, told Time.
Some couples who buy homes pre-marriage don’t have fancy weddings or honeymoons and use that money to cover a house down payment instead, according to Time.
Home ownership in so-called millennials is still decreasing, however. Young adult home ownership decreased from 40 to 34 percent from 2007 to 2011. The Coldwell Banker study did show that a certain demographic of millennials is interested in home ownership.
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via online...
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't touch that 529 plan
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate with...
- Balancing act: First 'real' job teaches...
- In a surprising move, Dollar Tree will buy...
- From benches to bedrooms: How some...
- Does getting married really increase wealth...
- Remodeling? Experts say some projects add to...
- Most American high schoolers don't know... 16
- Fast food workers vow civil disobedience 15
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via... 12
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate... 11
- Does getting married really increase... 8
- Remodeling? Experts say some projects... 6
- Study: 35 percent in US facing debt... 5
- Sneaky tricks restaurants use to make... 3