Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
Bronco Mendenhall, welcome to the Twittersphere.
BYU's notoriously publicity-shy football head coach joined Twitter on Tuesday, giving himself a social voice while subjecting himself to that of millions in the process.
He refrained, however, from using his own name in his Twitter handle, instead opting to use BYU_Football.
Mendenhall's followers jumped from 46 to 375 in 10 minutes Tuesday afternoon, an increase that will most likely continue thanks to a strong local and national interest in BYU football.
Mendenhall has never shown a natural inclination toward attention-seeking, his interviews with the media being usually more courteous than outgoing.
The BYU coaching staff, however, appears to have convinced Mendenhall to make himself a little more available to the general public.
Matt Petersen is the Sports Web Editor for DeseretNews.com. You can follow him on Twitter at @TheMattPetersen.
- Red and Blue Recruits: 'Sometimes when it...
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Some surprises, lots of defense, on first day...
- Honoring a legend: BYU star quarterback Jim...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- Doug Robinson: Making sense of retired...
- Former walk-on Kyle Johnson has become BYU's...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 295
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 83
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 60
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 45
- Peavler: Is Utah State BYU's biggest... 43
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39