Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
Bronco Mendenhall, welcome to the Twittersphere.
BYU's notoriously publicity-shy football head coach joined Twitter on Tuesday, giving himself a social voice while subjecting himself to that of millions in the process.
He refrained, however, from using his own name in his Twitter handle, instead opting to use BYU_Football.
Mendenhall's followers jumped from 46 to 375 in 10 minutes Tuesday afternoon, an increase that will most likely continue thanks to a strong local and national interest in BYU football.
Mendenhall has never shown a natural inclination toward attention-seeking, his interviews with the media being usually more courteous than outgoing.
The BYU coaching staff, however, appears to have convinced Mendenhall to make himself a little more available to the general public.
Matt Petersen is the Sports Web Editor for DeseretNews.com. You can follow him on Twitter at @TheMattPetersen.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- Randy Hollis: Utah's Perrins is one of the...
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule difficult...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 109
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 54
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 50
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 44
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 24
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 21