Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
Bronco Mendenhall, welcome to the Twittersphere.
BYU's notoriously publicity-shy football head coach joined Twitter on Tuesday, giving himself a social voice while subjecting himself to that of millions in the process.
He refrained, however, from using his own name in his Twitter handle, instead opting to use BYU_Football.
Mendenhall's followers jumped from 46 to 375 in 10 minutes Tuesday afternoon, an increase that will most likely continue thanks to a strong local and national interest in BYU football.
Mendenhall has never shown a natural inclination toward attention-seeking, his interviews with the media being usually more courteous than outgoing.
The BYU coaching staff, however, appears to have convinced Mendenhall to make himself a little more available to the general public.
Matt Petersen is the Sports Web Editor for DeseretNews.com. You can follow him on Twitter at @TheMattPetersen.
- Past few days 'difficult' for former...
- Defending champ Serena Williams at Wimbledon...
- Chile wins 2nd straight Copa America title as...
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Injured Lochte plows ahead in 200 free at US...
- Djokovic beat James Ward to open bid for 5th...
- Durant, Anthony lead US Olympic basketball team
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 81
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 51
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 20
- Utes have a lot of depth on the... 18
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 18