Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
Bronco Mendenhall, welcome to the Twittersphere.
BYU's notoriously publicity-shy football head coach joined Twitter on Tuesday, giving himself a social voice while subjecting himself to that of millions in the process.
He refrained, however, from using his own name in his Twitter handle, instead opting to use BYU_Football.
Mendenhall's followers jumped from 46 to 375 in 10 minutes Tuesday afternoon, an increase that will most likely continue thanks to a strong local and national interest in BYU football.
Mendenhall has never shown a natural inclination toward attention-seeking, his interviews with the media being usually more courteous than outgoing.
The BYU coaching staff, however, appears to have convinced Mendenhall to make himself a little more available to the general public.
Matt Petersen is the Sports Web Editor for DeseretNews.com. You can follow him on Twitter at @TheMattPetersen.
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Penn State sweeps BYU for a record seventh...
- Dick Harmon: Execution, not words, will crown...
- Utah basketball team makes it a doubly-good...
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 62
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 50
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Doug Robinson: A victory lap for Hot... 22