PROVO — A 14-year-old girl missing for 24 hours planned to be away from her house, but did not want people to think she was a runaway, according to police.
Investigators Tuesday continued to retrace the steps of Sarah Charice Beaumont who was found at an LDS meetinghouse in Pleasant Grove after disappearing about 24 hours earlier.
Sarah called her mother about 9:20 a.m., and by 10 a.m., Provo police had confirmed she had spent the night in the church. Sarah was unaware of the large search effort that was underway that included many volunteers.
She was last seen Monday after she left her house, near 1100 W. 650 North, at 8:30 a.m to walk to Dixon Junior High. She never made it to school. Provo Police Lt. Mathew Siufanua said Sarah took her brother's bicycle and someone else's jacket, and used Google to find an address in Pleasant Grove where she wanted to go. She then rode her bicycle to the church.
"She planned the whole thing," said Siufanua.
The girl took some food and money with her. Detectives believe she was alone the entire time.
What her intentions were, however, were still unknown Tuesday. Siufanua said investigators could not confirm Tuesday whether Sarah went there to meet anyone. All of the computers in her home and her cellphone were being searched by detectives Tuesday for possible clues.
Police said it appeared Sarah got cold while spending the night outside of the church. But she was otherwise unharmed when she was found.
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say...
- Deputy's suicide prompted Tooele school...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on state...
- Families face uncertainty, unite in prayer as...
- Cottonwood Heights mayor, residents unhappy...
- Roof, tower for Provo City Center Temple add...
- Utah too dependent on federal dollars, state...
- Gov. Gary Herbert unveils $13.3 billion budget
- Should parents pay extra for... 46
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 27
- Utah A.G. John Swallow: 'No way to... 25
- Candidates seeking to replace Swallow... 19
- 'Little Bulldog' will take a break; the... 18
- Utah judge could be first to rule on... 16
- In our opinion: Pioneer Park progress... 15
- About Utah: His business is fun, games... 15