High school baseball: American Fork star Riley Ottesen will put baseball on hold for LDS mission
His ability to throw off-speed pitches for strikes keeps batters from sagging off in anticipation for his fastball that regularly clocks in the 90s. His polished repertoire has generated interest from the Chicago White Sox, Chicago Cubs, New York Yankees and Arizona Diamondbacks, which have all scouted Ottesen in person.
The extra attention only raised the ante.
In American Fork’s 6-0 win against Lehi last week, Ottesen hurled his first career no-hitter on 115 pitches with 13 strikeouts.
“I didn’t really know that I had a no-hitter — I wasn’t thinking about it,” Ottesen said. “The only time I actually thought about it was the last hitter. I was like, ‘Wait I don’t think anyone has got a hit on me?’ The last hitter actually hit a line drive and almost had a base hit. So, when the third baseman caught it I was just stunned. I was super happy that I accomplished a goal in life.”
Humbly, he deflected the credit.
“My defense worked really well behind me,” Ottesen said. “It’s really nice to have such an amazing defense because I have so much more confidence. With no defense there’s no such thing as a no-hitter.”
The experiences at American Fork have been a blessing in disguise for Ottesen, but before he journeys 5,600 miles from Salt Lake City to Nagoya, he has one final curtain call. The Cavemen are favored to repeat once again in May and with every championship run comes a little magic.
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- Championship Thursday: Four prep state titles...
- High school baseball: 5A/4A state tournament...
- High school softball: 5A/4A state tournament...
- 4A softball: Spanish Fork continues...
- 5A softball: Riverton rallies past West with...
- High school baseball: Wasatch skipper Mike...
- 5A baseball: Cottonwood wins a pair, marches...
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball... 5
- Timpanogos takes home a 4A state... 3
- High school baseball: American Fork... 3
- High school baseball: Wasatch skipper... 2
- High school soccer: Maple Mountain... 1
- 4A softball: Spanish Fork sweeps second... 1
- Championship Thursday: Four prep state... 0
- High school baseball: 5A/4A state... 0