High school baseball: American Fork star Riley Ottesen will put baseball on hold for LDS mission
His ability to throw off-speed pitches for strikes keeps batters from sagging off in anticipation for his fastball that regularly clocks in the 90s. His polished repertoire has generated interest from the Chicago White Sox, Chicago Cubs, New York Yankees and Arizona Diamondbacks, which have all scouted Ottesen in person.
The extra attention only raised the ante.
In American Fork’s 6-0 win against Lehi last week, Ottesen hurled his first career no-hitter on 115 pitches with 13 strikeouts.
“I didn’t really know that I had a no-hitter — I wasn’t thinking about it,” Ottesen said. “The only time I actually thought about it was the last hitter. I was like, ‘Wait I don’t think anyone has got a hit on me?’ The last hitter actually hit a line drive and almost had a base hit. So, when the third baseman caught it I was just stunned. I was super happy that I accomplished a goal in life.”
Humbly, he deflected the credit.
“My defense worked really well behind me,” Ottesen said. “It’s really nice to have such an amazing defense because I have so much more confidence. With no defense there’s no such thing as a no-hitter.”
The experiences at American Fork have been a blessing in disguise for Ottesen, but before he journeys 5,600 miles from Salt Lake City to Nagoya, he has one final curtain call. The Cavemen are favored to repeat once again in May and with every championship run comes a little magic.
- Gary Crowton resigns as SUU offensive...
- Hayward looking like Captain America early in...
- Magic happens: Former BYU receiver Austin...
- What you may have missed: UConn fan's pleas...
- ESPN's Brett McMurphy: 'I actually should...
- Utes ready to show off new field Saturday...
- After win, BYU looking to improve, get...
- Defensive-minded Utah Jazz open preseason...
- With difficult September schedule over,... 55
- College football: Utes climb to No. 5... 55
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 36
- ESPN's College GameDay is coming to... 34
- Former BYU quarterback John Beck says... 26
- After win, BYU looking to improve, get... 25
- New Utah basketball facility has high... 23
- BYU overcomes mistakes, downs UConn,... 23