BYU golf: men's team in second, women in third at WCC Golf Championships
"I thought we played well," BYU head coach Carrie Robertssaid. "We just had a couple people struggle at the beginning and end and we would’ve been right there. I think we played pretty well as a team. Obviously, Lea was awesome and we’ll be ready for tomorrow."
Despite struggling midway through the back nine, Garner had a strong finish making birdie on two of her last three holes. She finished with three birdies and 11 pars during round one and currently stands tied for fifth place on the individual leaderboard at two-over-par. Grace Na of Pepperdine leads all golfers after carding an opening round 70 (-2).
Junior Selu Fotu had a strong outing for the Cougars during round one, converting two birdies and ten pars to shoot a five-over 77. She sits in a three-way tie for eighth place at five-over-par.
Annika Afoa Kahaiali'i and Lauren Atkinson shot opening rounds of 78 (+6) and 79 (+7), respectively. Kahaiali'i made 12 pars during the first round to finish tied for 11th place. Atkinson made birdie on holes 5 and 18 and sits in the 17th spot at seven-over-par.
Senior Amanda Keith shot an opening round 83 (+11), including a birdie on the final hole. She is currently tied for 24th in the individual standings.
The Cougars return to the links Tuesday for round two tee with times beginning at 8:10 a.m. PDT. Follow live stats at golfstat.com or visit the WCC Golf Championship Central Page at WCCsports.com for scoring updates and video recaps.
T5 Lea Garner 74, +2
T8 Selu Fotu 77, +5
T11 Annika Afoa Kahaiali'i 78, +6
17 Lauren Atkinson 79, +7
T24 Amanda Keith 83, +11
1 Pepperdine, +5
2 Gonzaga, +10
3 BYU, +20
4 Santa Clara, +28
5 San Francisco, +41
6 Cal State Bakersfield, +54
Chris Scheitinger is a student at Brigham Young University studying Public Relations. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- Utah secures commitments from two of Utah...
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start employing...
- Report: ACC changes stance, now considers BYU...
- Utah's first family of boxing loses one of...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit after ACC...
- Morning links: Austin Collie denies report he...
- High school football: Riverton coach Mike...
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 65
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 50
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 41
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 38
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 34
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 34